Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Dapper Dan So, it's back to IceWM for me! I know it's old, plain and a little clunky looking compared to other WM/DEs, but it's well worth ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    So, it's back to IceWM for me! I know it's old, plain and a little clunky looking compared to other WM/DEs, but it's well worth it when running one of the fastest Window Mangers available.
    It's good to know that some people still enjoy using the old WMs. I started to use Blackbox years ago, back when I'd started to find even Fluxbox to be too fussy, and I've been using it ever since. I use an old program called bbkeys to give me keyboard shortcuts - such as Alt + F1 to open an xterm window, and Alt + F2 to open GNU IceCat. It suits me to a tee.

I just grabbed it from slackbuilds - haven't used this in years. Very snappy indeed and on my system it's comparable to openbox or fluxbox.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    One thing I'd like to see the IceWM devs do is make it where you can easily disable the frames around any application launch icons in the IceWM panel. If that can be done easily already, I never was able to figure out how to do it, although I have seen a patch that comes with some themes that apparently allows the user to disable them.
    Not wanting to give up on the issue that I described earlier in this thread (and quoted above), I kept searching online and it appears that you can now change the "Look" option to "flat" in your IceWM theme to get borderless app launcher buttons on the IceWM taskbar:

Code:
    Look=flat
    I don't currently have IceWM installed, so can't easily test the apparent fix. Have any of you tried using that option and if so, does it work properly to give borderless taskbar launcher buttons? If it works properly, I'm anxious to give IceWM another try.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can readily answer, or take a minute to check it.
    oz

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin View Post
    ... back when I'd started to find even Fluxbox to be too fussy...
    that just made me laugh...you are hardcore, Krendo!

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    that just made me laugh...you are hardcore, Krendo!
    Well I'm pretty much a command line person and I like things to be minimal. When Fluxbox started messing around with their antialiasing support it just became annoying, and there were several other things that I didn't like about it that I can't remember off the top of my head. I'm using Blackbox 0.70.1, and it reminds me of the Fluxbox I used to enjoy using back when I was using Slackware 10.

Trusted Penguin
    God, I remember using good ol blackbox 0.70.x, too. Yeah, when I'm on a slow machine, fluxbox and blackbox are my standbys. I like slim too, for replacing gdm and being slightly sexier than xdm.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    I like slim too, for replacing gdm and being slightly sexier than xdm.
    I like slim too but I recently read that it isn't being maintained any more.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

I'm probably the only person who dislikes slim... The first time I tried it in Debian about 12 months ago it was buggy and would cause a huge input lag in any tty. The last time I tried it a few months ago it would consistently crash and not respond to any attempts to stop it.

Trusted Penguin
    that's a bummer, I never had any probs with it, but YMMV, as they say...

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Not wanting to give up on the issue that I described earlier in this thread (and quoted above), I kept searching online and it appears that you can now change the "Look" option to "flat" in your IceWM theme to get borderless app launcher buttons on the IceWM taskbar:

Code:
    Look=flat
    I don't currently have IceWM installed, so can't easily test the apparent fix. Have any of you tried using that option and if so, does it work properly to give borderless taskbar launcher buttons? If it works properly, I'm anxious to give IceWM another try.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can readily answer, or take a minute to check it.
    Never mind... no need to check this or reply. For future reference, I've just installed IceWM and tried the "Look=flat" option in the IceWM theme and it does indeed give buttons on the panel that are without frames, hence a slightly cleaner look.
    oz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2