Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
So long as the ISO is burned as an image, you should be able to simply reboot the machine while the disc is in the optical drive. If it's a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

So long as the ISO is burned as an image, you should be able to simply reboot the machine while the disc is in the optical drive.
    If it's a USB drive, then you may need to set uour BIOS to boot from USB devices first.
    After that, you should be able to go through the installer for Suse. Wile I've never personally used it, most major distros have the option to "Install" or "Upgrade".
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    this is how raw i am when it comes to even as basic as the word BIOS is concerned! What would i need to do to reset bios to boot from usb?

When you first power on the computer, you'll need to hit a specific key to go into either BIOS or Setup.
    Which key you need to hit differs from computer to computer.
    Many models will display a very brief message regarding this on startup, but common examples are F2, F10, F11 or <Esc>.
    A little trial and error might be in order. But once you're in, look for something along the lines of Boot Priority or Boot Order.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    "...look for something along the lines of Boot Priority or Boot Order. "

Thanks for your guidance.
    I found F9,F10 and F11 on the starting screen. F10 gave among other things, the following:
    1st Boot Device -- Notebook Hard Drive
    2nd Boot Device -- [Notebook Ethernet]. It seems there is no choice for a USB device!

When I selected the 2nd boot , there I found a note on the right hand side saying " A device enclosed in parenthesis has been disabled in the corresponding type menu" Sorry, but I cannot comprehend this!. Is this something to do with Boot Device?

Thanks for further help on how to get to the external CD drive.

Looks like you found something good there! Maybe not what you need... but you're on the right track!
    When you found that screen from F10, was you're USB drive connected? If so, what were the available choices to boot from?

Did you actually see a BIOS screen? That may be needed. Something like these.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2