Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
There's a new version of openSUSE now available for those wanting to try it, or looking to upgrade: This release represents more than eight months of work by our international ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

openSUSE 12.1 has been released...

There's a new version of openSUSE now available for those wanting to try it, or looking to upgrade:

This release represents more than eight months of work by our international community and brings you the best Free Software has to offer. Awesome improvements include the latest GNOME 3.2 desktop as well as the newest from KDE, XFCE and LXDE; your ownCloud made easy with mirall; Snapper-shots of your file system; and much, much more.
    software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 12.1
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hi, nice to know the techy guys out there are churning improvements to Open SUSE 12.1 now. However, users like myself have yet to step up to 12.0! I am happy with my 11.4 version and until 11.4 is rendered 'useless' thru time I dont forsee myself upgrading my Open SUSE - yet.

Just thinking aloud -- and pls dont laugh at this question...how long more will it be possible to run 11.4 -- 6 mths? a year??

11.4 is supported through: September 15th 2012 which is in 209 days (2 months after release of 12.2)
    Lifetime - openSUSE
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Great, thnx for the enlightenment. That means like or not I will have to update to the latest version come Sept 2012. I'll just have to get some help here. Hope u people bear with me. Really, I'd like to learn to be able to be 'self sufficient" so to speak in as far as doing the updating. I understand why some response consider me as a joker for asking what seemed to be very very obvious to them! But when I enquire about smthing, its NOT smthing obvious to me. When I post a question (dumb ones) I really am at a lost. Perhaps becoz I am ONLY a user - but just like to try LINUX - and i dont have any background knowledge to the computers. Architecture to me is about brick and mortar buildings - until recently, when I was checking my hardware, I stumbled upon 'architecture' also refers to building a computer! See what I mean? If I liken the computer to a car, then, when I am 'using' a car all I know to do is to turn the ignition and put the gear into drive mode. Thats it. At times I will need to fill up with gas, n at some interval I will need to get it serviced by a mechanic. Hope this will not bore any of you out there.
    Some how I now tend to accept the 'advise' by friends that in order for me to be a LINUX user, I ACTUALLY need to have computer science knowledge!
    I really appreciate if anyone of you would confirm whether or not my friends advice is correct?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mhismail View Post
    Some how I now tend to accept the 'advise' by friends that in order for me to be a LINUX user, I ACTUALLY need to have computer science knowledge!
    I really appreciate if anyone of you would confirm whether or not my friends advice is correct?
    Simply not true. There is no need to have a computer science background to use Linux.
    There is no need for technical knowledge to run Windows, is there? The same concept applies here.
    The main difference is that Linux gives you the freedom to change various parts of the system, if you choose.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    QUOTE.
    The main difference is that Linux gives you the freedom to change various parts of the system, if you choose.[/QUOTE]

OK, this last sentence the way i understand it, refers to computer techy guys. pls correct me if i am wrong there. may be you can give an example of what some of the things you may want changed.

Quote Originally Posted by mhismail View Post
    may be you can give an example of what some of the things you may want changed.
    The most common type of change would be the GUI that you use.
    Windows has the single user interface that is pre-installed. Nothing more.
    Linux offers a multitude of options for a Desktop Environment. So if you don't like KDE or Gnome, use Xfce or IceWM.
    There are also different programs available to manage your network connections.

Going even deeper, you can change the behavior and capabilities of an application. Download the source code of a program, add or remove features, compile it. Done. (This part is beyond my knowledge, but it's possible).
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    "The most common type of change would be the GUI that you use."

Thanks. I will need to digest that for a bit just so I know what exactly you mean. Ya, the moment I saw the GUI, I remember it stands for Graphical User Interphase -- thats as much as i know! Wil get back to this page for more info.....

For some great information on the different GUIs available, take a look here: Window Managers for X
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Hi Jayd512,
    I visited the link you mentioned. I can comprehend some parts of the info there. I must say i will need to reread and re-digest the info several times more!
    Coming back to the updated version of Open SUSE, I did download the 12.0 into a DVD, quite recently. Now that 12.1 is out, I guess I should then download the latest.
    One question though. After I downloaded the 12.0, via the external drive - not that it matters where the drive is! But, I dont seem to be able to access the 12.0 to be loaded in to my HP mini! I am lost....what is it that I need to do?? I definitely dont want to go through this experience again after downloading 12.1!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast