Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Here ya go, folks... I ran across this, quite by accident, and thought of this thread! The real reasons why you should NOT use Facebook...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cool

Here ya go, folks...
    I ran across this, quite by accident, and thought of this thread!

The real reasons why you should NOT use Facebook
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Good article, I agree on almost all counts, but privacy is still a huge issue which should not be played down. Yes the media does adopt the sensationalist approach and yes most of the scare stories have been short on facts, but whether you use fictitious credentials/profile you are still being tracked in every way imaginable, you are still being profiled. Personally it shocks me that people are stupid enough to put their personal data on that site. It's now widely known that anything you upload to their servers is never truly deleted, including your account... facebook is just a huge a data farm, and it's easy to see who the sheep are.

For me as someone who takes privacy seriously (not to the tin foil hat level, but seriously enough) and who has run several messageboards over the last decade, it's simply unthinkable that people would publish their real identities online and gift them over to unscrupulous marketing giants without any kind of remuneration...

facebook is effectively a means for connecting a name and a face to an IP address and that IP address to a set of more IP addresses and one or more of those to geo-location data - couple that with their "likes" and dislikes and other, often very personal, profiling information and you have the gold mine of data mining. It would be funny if it wasn't so sick at the same time. With the age of "big brother" clearly around the corner, it's obvious that the authorities won't have much of a struggle on their hands. The average idiot is easily pleased, pacified and fooled and is ready to sign away their privacy at the drop of a hat.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post

All that makes plenty of sense to me.

Several years ago, I looked at creating my own Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter accounts but then came to my senses before actually doing so. As we go forward, I never regret not creating them, but instead find myself feeling better than ever about the decision not to do so. Still, I'm glad the option to use them is there for those that feel compelled to do so.
    Last edited by oz; 11-22-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: spell
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Here ya go, folks...

Thanks, JD!! That article says it all!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Facebook has no goods or services it sells the user yet it is valued at $82 billion.
    That's a B in billion.
    Facebook Value Drops To $82.25 Billion On SharesPost

So where does their value come from?
    Easy! They sell your information to advertisers.
    If it's free or sounds too good to be true it usually has a catch.

I value my privacy and prefer not giving some company my
    personal info so they can sell it to whoever coughs up the money for the list.

With enough generic data it becomes easier for advertisers and any nefarious company to profile you and eventually Id you. Staying away from Facebook and other sites similar to it helps cut down on the profiling.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaZMAniac View Post
    Facebook has no goods or services it sells the user yet it is valued at $82 billion.
    That's a B in billion.
    Yep it's dotcom revisited - there's one born everyday, or is that 800 million...

25 Worst Passwords - Facebook Loved By Hackers!

Evidently Facebook is " Extensively Hacked " according to this article about bad passwords!!
    25 'worst' web passwords - Telegraph
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    Evidently Facebook is " Extensively Hacked " according to this article about bad passwords!
    Yep, an account name, which is also often chosen unwisely and very easily guessed, along with a listing of the 25 worst or most common passwords is a dangerous thing in the hands of anyone with ill conceived intent... but then again, surely it's only those individuals that have nothing they feel is worth keeping private that would use such passwords and account names.
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I'd bet they also using the same details for their Internet banking / shopping and so on
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

A few years ago, while doing some basic tech support for a telecom, a customer called into reset their email password.
    Believe it or not, they wanted the password to be the same as their banking PIN... which they told me!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast