Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
My cousins adult daughter keeps requesting that I " join her on Facebook " and I just keep declining. I sent her an email today containing this link: Letter Re: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Sorry, No Facebook For Me!!

My cousins adult daughter keeps requesting that I " join her on Facebook " and I just keep declining. I sent her an email today containing this link:
    Letter Re: Internet Privacy Practices For Preppers - SurvivalBlog.com

I sure hope that reading the article gets her to back off of her request!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

In my experience it has been the absolute best way to deal with people such as your cousins daughter's, is just to politely but firmly explain that you have no desire to join for multiple reasons. Rarely does one get the exact message that you want to convey from an Internet link. Ten people could read that link and come away with ten different opinions on why you sent that link.
    Just my .02 cents
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Same here.
    It took me what seems like forever to convince people that I have no interest, at all, in joining them on Facebook. Or MySpace. Or whatever else is out there.
    Like I said, it took a while. But I finally got the point across.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I just decline people politely by saying, "I prefer not to indulge in sharing cute puppy and kitten photo's, playing mindless games like Farmville, joining peoples circle of friends who I wouldn't have for a friend in real life and indulging in monotonous chat that bores me sh**less"

They seem to understand after that...
    jayd512 and cynwulf like this.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Usually I just ask why I would want to give up any right to privacy just so corporations I wouldn't buy from in the real world can continue to advertise to me? In one special case of a life long friend, I said "Cool! I've been looking for somewhere to show off [i]those /i] photos!"
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Is that what people do with Facebook?
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    Not all of them. Most of the content on Facebook is trivial content...
    I'm having a great time in Arizona.
    I'm loving Jamaica.
    ...blah, blah, blah.

Some folks, however, do share those types of photos and stories.

On the flip side of that, I know a few people that have managed to contact friends from middle school... 10 years later.
    Facebook is, inherently, a wonderful idea. But society's usage of it...
    Not my scene.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    I think you should go check it out at least....then decide whether you want to use it or not. All you need is a valid email address and a fake name just to check it out. If you decide you like it, delete the fake account and create a real one. I use Facebook daily to keep in touch with co-workers and Family members that I haven't seen in a long time. There are controls that you can use on Facebook to try to limit your privacy issues. I think the real privacy issues are when dealing with the Facebook App on cell phone or mobile devices while enabling the GPS and unsecured WIFI networks which lets everyone (that you allow) know your location. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. It's up to you to weigh the pros and cons to find out if you want to use it or not. You could also try Google+ which is a Facebook clone but made by Google.

Forum Members: I can send anyone an invite for Google+ if you want to check it out, I have 8 invites.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

My wife loves it, and spends quite a bit of time on facebook. On the other hand, I tell people, "I don't do social network sites due to security risks." They may think I am an old fuddy duddy, but I rarely have to argue the point.
    Registered Linux user #526930

I once had the question put to me: Without Facebook, how do you keep in touch with people?
    My answer confused the hell out of them: If I can't drive over to see them, a phone call works quite well. Failing that, I'll go old-school... email.

Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast