Find the answer to your Linux question:
i am fairly new to linux and would like to get certified. Would i be able to practice with Fedora in order to write my Red Hat Certified System Administrator....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red Hat Certified System Administrator

i am fairly new to linux and would like to get certified.
    Would i be able to practice with Fedora in order to write my Red Hat Certified System Administrator.

Yes, but it not the best training environment in your case.
    Fedora is the testbed of redhat. They try new solutions here.

The best distribution for your purpose is RedHat, obviously.
    Next best (and probably good enough) are CentOS and ScientifLinux, as these are clones of RedHat.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Trusted Penguin
    I have heard from others that CentOS did a better job of mirroring the actual packages available and installed than SL, but I've never used SL so I don't know. If you're interested, there is a fly-off here.

Good luck!

Thumbs up redhat variants

For the RHCSA exam you can use any of he variants of redhat. personally i find fedora to be my best. i have followed redhat from RHL 8.0 todate am using fedora 13 i use the distro until i feel fully contented with it.
    ubuntu and mint can be good for newbies to linux but some commands just may not work in them like useradd is changed to adduser .they don't have rpm instead they use apt and RHCSA deals with core redhat syntax.
    So go for fedora or centos.

I used RHEL, Scientific, CentOS, and Fedora, and I can say that there was never a time where the distro choice stopped me from completing any objectives. I would NOT recommend fedora, since 15 / 16 use a newer init system, and grub version that may throw a wrench into the mix.

I would recommend you use both centOS AND Scientific to practice (especially if you can't get a hold of RHEL.) Oddities in 1 may get you to rely on something not in the other (or in RHEL) which would be bad.

and practice practice practice. No one fails because they can't do the required objectives; they fail because they can't do them fast enough (you are only given ... I think 2 hours.)
    https://www.redhat.com/certification/rhcsa/objectives/
    get through everything listed there.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    Thanks * for the prompt reponse.
    Which study material would you prescribe as the best to prepare for the exam.

Trusted Penguin
    Go to the source, I'd recommend:

Deployment Guide

There are other good resources there, but I think the Deployment Guide is the one you should start with.

I don't think there are huge difference between CentOS and Scientific. You could also try ClearOS, it is also very similar... and would be viable.

http://www.amazon.com/RHCSA-Linux-Ce...2342057&sr=8-1

I used Jang's previous book for RHEL 5, and can tell you that it is worth every penny, and then some. I have not read this edition fully, but what I have read looks to be of equal quality to his previous book. And it's huge, I think it hit over 1,000 pages. If it's as good as his previous book, it'll provide many practice scenarios and tips for focusing your studies, as well as tricks to save time that you may not have thought of.

Yes it's kind of pricy, but paying $40 to get what is regarded as the best guide to your $400 test seems like a good deal to me.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4