Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hello!

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

All these people who can speak multiple languages; I'm really jealous as I've barely mastered one. My language teachers at school pretty much gave up despite my genuine best efforts.
    Should you be sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

The Fifth Continent

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    All these people who can speak multiple languages; I'm really jealous as I've barely mastered one. My language teachers at school pretty much gave up despite my genuine best efforts.
    As far as I'm concerned, the only way to learn another language is to live in a country where it is the lingua franca for 6-12 months. There seems to be a hard-wired thing in our brains that takes about 7 months before one starts to really think in the language, and no amount of school or book learning will change that. Example: my sister studied Spanish for 3 years in high school and another couple of years in college. Then she went to study in Mexico, and was foundering for 7 months. Then one day, she realized that she was listening to conversations without trying to translate them. I studied Spanish for 1 year in high school, then went to Mexico to study, and after 7 months (3 months of intensive Spanish classes - 8 hours / day), the same thing happened to me! Needless to say, she has a better technical command of the language (especially after having lived in Mexico for many many years), and does work as a translator, but we are both fluent in speaking it and often babble to each other in Spanish, or more often (to my wife's chagrin) Spanglish!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    A lot of people say that. But I think you need enough of a language to at least pidgin your way through for the first few months. I went through two years of secondary school German and four years of French and emerged unable to speak word one of either language. And I genuinely did try my best. By the third year, it was decided that languages were "probably not my thing". Unfortunately, I had to take at least one foreign language and wasn't allowed to study extra maths and C.S. instead.
    Should you be sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    A lot of people say that. But I think you need enough of a language to at least pidgin your way through for the first few months. I went through two years of secondary school German and four years of French and emerged unable to speak word one of either language. And I genuinely did try my best. By the third year, it was decided that languages were "probably not my thing". Unfortunately, I had to take at least one foreign language and wasn't allowed to study extra maths and C.S. instead.
    How you learn it depends on what works for you - you've probably just not found the way that works for you yet. My second language is really C (or C++) but after that, can manage a bit of Spanish (where I've only ever been on holiday) and a bit of German (where I've never, ever been).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    How you learn it depends on what works for you - you've probably just not found the way that works for you yet. My second language is really C (or C++) but after that, can manage a bit of Spanish (where I've only ever been on holiday) and a bit of German (where I've never, ever been).
    Yo hablo perl.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ich sprecken Smalltalk...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!