Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what distro would be suitable for my needs. I would like a live usb or cd ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What distro do I need to do this?

Hi I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what distro would be suitable for my needs.

I would like a live usb or cd distro that enables me to fully customise the over all look.
    Password login that erases the stick if someone tries to login and fails 3 times.
    Web browser
    On stick storage space
    Small database for contacts with notes.
    Fully transferable over a range of systems.

Is there anything out there that does this or would give me the means to create this?

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by walkingsoul View Post
    I would like a live usb or cd distro that enables me to fully customise the over all look.
    Password login that erases the stick if someone tries to login and fails 3 times.
    That looks quite tricky. If you're running from a CD image, you won't be able to wipe the CD if they fail their login 3 times.

If you're running from a USB device, then you'll be erasing a mounted partition, and unexpected effects would happen if you did this (if it were to somehow allow you).

Why would any user fail 3 times anyway? Surely this thing will be encoded with a known username/password combo that people are going to know?

If you're worried that someone is going to get their hands on the data on this USB stick or CD Rom, then you have much bigger problems that wiping it if they fail to log in correctly could ever cure. They could just put the disk/sick into a standard Linux computer and read off any data they wanted.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Trusted Penguin
    If it is security you are after, you can take a look at IronKey - it is an uber-secure thumb drive (hardware encryption vs software encryption). You can also software encrypt your Linux partitions when you install the OS. That way, the user must use the proper encryption passphrase at boot-time, or it refuses to boot (same with Ironkey). Then you don't really need to worry about the 3-failed password attempts wiping the drive.

Edit: I think IronKey even supports wiping the disk if you enter the wrong passphrase X number of times.
    Last edited by atreyu; 11-30-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Ironkey