Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: What other operating systems do you multi-boot on your main computer?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • BSD

0 0%
  • Mac

0 0%
  • Windows

13 50.00%
  • Other

4 15.38%
  • None... I'm Linux only!

14 53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Originally Posted by elija I have just downloaded Crux to have a go on a lappy but it looks a tad scary! Not scary at all, elija . The initial ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I have just downloaded Crux to have a go on a lappy but it looks a tad scary!
    Not scary at all, elija. The initial setup can be a little little difficult, but after you get that right, it's a great system.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    After being Linux only for a few years, I had to install Windows to run my game "Duke Nukem Forever". I'm not proud of it but I do not allow Internet access on the Windows partition unless I need to download something.
    Lol, its always funny, when someone comments about using windows and that they are ashamed of it.

It's even more funny (not out loud on the inside) hearing a Windows person comment on linux and say how they really dislike it. Especially when they get into details. Just the ignorance and stereotype that is placed on Linux.

@MikeTbob: I don't think you need to be ashamed of using Windows, it is an awesome system. Besides how else are you going to play those high end computer games if you don't at least run a Windows Partition. But why Duke Nukem Forever, that has to be one of worst reincarnations of Duke Nukem or so i've read.
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 12-07-2011 at 02:04 AM.
    jayd512 likes this.

I have to agree with a part of that... cuz it's something that most Linux users or Apple fans wont admit.
    It's the fact that Windows, taken on its own merit, is a good system.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux only. Debian on my internal hard-drive and occasionally testing another OS on an external hard-drive.

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    But why Duke Nukem Forever, that has to be one of worst reincarnations of Duke Nukem or so i've read.
    I'm not ashamed of needing to use Windows, I just don't like openly admitting it on a Linux forum.
    I bought it on the day it released and at that time, no one knew how bad it sucked. We had a discussion about it here on the forums after I bought it but had not opened it yet. Everyone was telling me how terrible it was and I didn't want to unwrap it, thinking I might return it but I didn't. It's "playable".
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.
    Code:
    Are you multi-booting your computer?
    Only in the interpretation of booting Virtual Machines. However, prior to that, I often used disk frame-carrier mechanisms to facilitate booting different systems. I learned the hard way that a slip of the finger (or brain) could ruin an entire set of OSs installed on different partitions of a single disk. VMs helped me to be able to keep many OSs on a single machine, and, given sufficient resources, run them simultaneously.

This interpretation led me to comment but to refrain from voting ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    I have to agree with a part of that... cuz it's something that most Linux users or Apple fans wont admit.
    It's the fact that Windows, taken on its own merit, is a good system.
    Totally, its always one side is better than the other...

Although with that said, I've always thought of Apple users as not being in the same crowd as Unix & Unix-like users. While on the same foundations, a generalization can be made that most apple users are anti-windows more so than any other Unix or Unix-like user; But like a Windows user doesn't really know the other systems, even the Unix ones (or maybe that's just my ignorance, in which case i 'm open to being told otherwise).

Sorta like Windows and Apple are polar opposites and anything else is in the middle.

@MikeTbob: Fair enough. Shame on you for admitting you use Windows on a Linux forum, such a disgrace :P (Jokes, In-case anyone took me seriously)

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    For my main computer (which is currently an HP notebook), I dual boot openSUSE and Windows 7. I mostly use Linux, but some of my work and academic programs are Windows only or don't work very well with WINE, so I have to dual boot.

oz
    forum.guy
    According to the vote count thus far, we certainly have more members dual-booting with Windows than I had anticipated.

That said, I see nothing wrong with booting into Windows if a user needs it, or dumping it entirely if they don't. In my case, I don't dual boot at home or at work, but Windows is a requirement at work so a Windows box is a must. However, if the chance to move to Linux at work should present itself, I'll be on it like a duck on a June bug.
    oz

Interesting that there are no users running Mac & Linux or BSD & Linux.

I would have thought at least a couple of users would be using Mac & Linux. Or even triple booting Windows, Linux, & Mac

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast