Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I am going to buy a laptop, so I need some recommendation about the distro I should choose. It should be fast, stable and must have good power consumption. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Talking Lightweight distro for laptop?

Hi!

I am going to buy a laptop, so I need some recommendation about the distro I should choose. It should be fast, stable and must have good power consumption. I have heard that Enlightement, OpenBox, LXDE is lighter than Gnome, KDE. So any DE should be welcome.

I have tested Bodhi Linux and CrunchBang, but both are bit unstable. Besides, I don't like to right click everytime I need to run a program in #!.

I have used Ubuntu for 3yrs and Mint for 3mnths. I have heard that Mint LXDE is good, so any Ubuntu/Debian based distros will be hugely welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome aboard!

If you're already familiar with the Ubuntu family, I'd say go ahead and give them a shot.
    A lot of folks are displeased with Ubuntus new Unity interface, co one of the derivatives might be the way to go. Xubuntu (Xfce) or Lubuntu (LXDE).
    Mint now has an attractive looking spin on Gnome 3, thanks to their Gnome Shell Extensions, though I've not played with it.

And all of them have fairly robust power management options, so all should do well on your laptop.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I use gnome on my more powerful computers, but prefer Lubuntu, LegacyOS or Antix on less powerful ones. I have played with, but not used extensively SliTaz, TinyCore, Absolute, Vector and TinyMe, and all seemed to hold promise. Also, since you like debian based and Mint, try MintLXDE or Mint debian edition.
    Registered Linux user #526930

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

OpenBox in Mint?

Thanks everyone for the reply. I have decided to give Mint a try. I may install LXDE version. But, is there a way to use OpenBox with Debian edition? I prefer OpenBox/Enlightement over LXDE so it may be better.

Quote Originally Posted by shwrox View Post
    is there a way to use OpenBox with Debian edition?
    OpenBox is in the Debian repo, so you can install it with your package manager.
    I'm pretty sure that the same holds true for Enlightenment.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.