Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently noticed that my bank was offering an app that people could use their I-Phones to do on-line banking. I thought to myself that isn't a smart thing for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Just How Dumb Is Your Bank??

I recently noticed that my bank was offering an app that people could use their I-Phones to do on-line banking. I thought to myself that isn't a smart thing for a bank to be doing. Lo and behold I opened up this mornings paper to find this story:
    Manhattan District Attorney busts check-fraud*scheme that may have cost TD Bank more than $1M* - NY Daily News

You can't get much dumber than that!!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

And that doesn't even cover cloned phones and all the other mischief that can be done with electronics. Hopefully the legitimate account holders do not use the bad password habits discussed in another thread.
    Registered Linux user #526930

After losing millions someone at the bank woke up. The thieves opened savings accounts with phony checks and then they
    quickly transfered the funds to their checking accounts and withdrew it. To me that is just being incredibly stupid.
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

oz
    forum.guy
    Not for me, thanks! I stopped accessing my bank accounts using online methods a few years back and don't have any need or desire to do so, but yeah, there are definitely some risks with doing it. That said, it seems like there's always another "must have" app out there for mobile phones.
    oz

No Oversight

Nowadays when you deposit a check into your bank account your bank withdraws the money electronically from the bank account number printed on the check. I've seen stores electronically withdraw the check amount before allowing the customer to leave the store with their goods. Why TD Bank fails to check their own books is a sign of incompetence!!
    Linux user # 414321