Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Every year or so, I wonder if Microsoft Windows is really what I should be running or sometimes I wonder what my PC is really doing, so I try Linux. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Giving Linux a try again

Every year or so, I wonder if Microsoft Windows is really what I should be running or sometimes I wonder what my PC is really doing, so I try Linux. Each year I'm impressed, but decide it is a to techy for me.

This year, to ubuntu's credit 11.04 worked great on both my laptop and desktop. They really have done a fantastic job and have a great support forum with lots of posts and help.

However, while ubuntu 11.04 worked fined on both my PCs, ubuntu 11.10 does not run on my desktop for unknown reasons.

so.... I've been checking out knoppix. I really like how it runs (quick), pretty fast and easy to install to USB boot drive. However, despite effort, research and help, I've not been able to install standard Firefox and Thunderbird under knoppix 6.7.1.

I'm thinking I have to have the following:

Firefox and Thunderbird 8 (not IceWeasel or IceDove) with QuickFox Notes, RemiderFox, Lightning Calendar, Google Calendar Sync

Openshot 1.4

SpiderOak backup

KeepNote

Libre Office suite - I've not tried much, but looks fine for now.

Anyone have an easy to use distro that runs on most PCs with the above applications?

Glad to be part of the LinuxForums.

Hello there!

I'm pretty sure that since Knoppix is Debian-based, it's gonna follow their repos.
    And Debian doesn't offer Firefox or Thunderbird.
    They do, however, offer IceWeasle and IceDove. Which are re-branded clones of the afore mentioned applications.

The other programs you mentioned, I'm not really familiar with so I can't comment.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Hello and Welcome.
    I've not had the opportunity to use most of the software you listed but if the source code for the software you listed, including Firefox, is available for download, you can compile it into any distro you want. My opinion, I would simply suggest that you just try a different distro and forget about Knoppix for now because it's more like a "tool" and less like a distro.

See if other distro's work any better (Distro hopping). Linux Mint comes to mind. It's been called "Ubuntu on Steroids". That's the beauty of Linux, if one distro doesn't work then you can just try another. I think the easiest way to distro hop is by using a USB drive and Unetbootin.
    UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads
    Main Page - Linux Mint
    Enjoy and do let us know how it goes for you.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Welcome to the forum. Go to distrowatch.com, and browse the top downloads there. Mint, ubuntu, debian,fedora, and open suse are all in the top few. Try them and see which one you like. Most distro's have repositories that include firefox, as well a a wealth of other programs. Linusapfinder.com can help you find the aps to do what you want. Good luck, and keep us posted.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverDave View Post
    Every year or so, I wonder if Microsoft Windows is really what I should be running or sometimes I wonder what my PC is really doing, so I try Linux. Each year I'm impressed, but decide it is a to techy for me.

This year, to ubuntu's credit 11.04 worked great on both my laptop and desktop. They really have done a fantastic job and have a great support forum with lots of posts and help.

However, while ubuntu 11.04 worked fined on both my PCs, ubuntu 11.10 does not run on my desktop for unknown reasons.....
    Have you tried the XFCE version of Ubuntu, Xubuntu?

It's a lot lighter and faster than Ubuntu and has the latest versions of Firefox and Thunderbird - I'm running the 12.04 Alpha build and it's pretty stable too. For a really quick XFCE platform I'd go to Debian, as said, Iceweasel and Icedove are just rebranded Mozilla apps basically. If you want Firefox and Tbird then these can be added to Debian - it's not a major issue, I'm running FF8 on Debian as I type this

Take a look at my blog - at the top is an article about installing Firefox and that should work with Knoppix.

If you are new to Linux and want it easy then look at Xubuntu or even Lubuntu (LXDE desktop).

Honestly i would just go with ubuntu 11.04 it comes pre installed with firefox you can easily update to the newest version thunderbird shouldn't be hard to instal plus you should have the safety of knowing it has LTS (long term support)

Actually, 11.04 is not LTS.
    That would be 10.04
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverDave View Post
    Anyone have an easy to use distro that runs on most PCs with the above applications?
    i find virtual stuff the easiest all 'round, vmware or virtualbox for checking out distros and running 'em

google > Virtual Appliances Operating Systems

i get by with 2 gigs of physical ram running win as host

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome back to Linux, and to the forums, DenverDave!

I think most users who decide to leave Linux after giving it a fair trial will return to it at some point in time.

Glad to see you have...
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by champ_weller View Post
    Honestly i would just go with ubuntu 11.04 it comes pre installed with firefox you can easily update to the newest version thunderbird shouldn't be hard to instal plus you should have the safety of knowing it has LTS (long term support)
    Well i guess i put the ass in assume

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast