Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am currently working on some issues with the EeePc 1015B and am finally at the point to actually ask somebody than browsing through given answers. I would describe myself ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hello

I am currently working on some issues with the EeePc 1015B and am finally at the point to actually ask somebody than browsing through given answers.

I would describe myself as a Noob with quite some dirt on my shoes from walking the long way to Linux, having read and understood most of the signposts but nevertheless lost track and destination sometimes. The linear way of search-find-solve-report solution is quite hard for me to achieve, because I got sidetracked most of the time by trying to understand how stuff works and how it corresponds to each other.

I came into the whole Open-Source and especially the Linux world through working with proprietary software on borrowed computers. Back than I had an iBook and I will never get me something comparable again.
    I found GIMP and it did all I wanted in image manipulation. From there on, I found ufraw and it did all I wanted in the field of photography.

Getting from there deeper into this whole sphere, I found out more and more that the basic principles of Open-Source (and Linux Distros) are exactly what I want.

I am also interested in OpenBSD and Haiku OS - like in many other things in the world of computing.

At the moment I achieved to install Fedora and SuSe on a Netbook without destroying the pre-installed Windows7. It was nearly impossible to get a good and not too expensive Netbook without Windows, so I had to swallow my pride and still feel it fighting against that fact.

So I hope the day will be sooner that I can imagine when staying reasonable to help out Newbies here.

So thanks a lot in advance for your time and advice, knowledge and a good word when things go terribly wrong. We all have been there (what do you mean by - It's all gone and we can't repair it?) and it will be a pleasure to give back everything I get here manifold.

Last note: I'm not a native speaker but will also be very pleased to be corrected in my grammar and/or choice of words.

Have a good one.

took me a few disasters to finally get serious about backing up, witch turned out not to be a big deal,

there are also many easy ways to go about linux whilst greatly minimizing risking anything,

best to ask if unsure or trying new stuff,

cheers

For issues with your EeePc 1015B. The EEEPC Forum finally came back on online recently.

EeeUser Forum

There is a wealth of info there. Just have to dig a little for it in the wiki or forum threads.

Howdy and Welcome.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Backups, backups, backups - that way you won't cry when loose your valuable data when it goes wrong occasionally.

For a newbie to BSD's, I would suggest FreeBSD as it's handbook is pretty good - FreeBSD Handbook

Just Joined!
    Backups aren't the issue

I do back-up. I fact I have more back-ups on variable medias that makes sense somehow. I migrated from a broken down iBook to a borrowed WIndows machine, then another borrowed Windows machine, then a borrowed Linux machine, then my own Linux machine (with a Celeron from around the first generation and 20GB HDD) and then to a borrowed NetBook with Linux. Which wasn't updated for a really long time. Ever heard about Eeebuntu? One should update at least once a year, else trouble arises. And I had no privileges to manipulate much on it. Now I finally got my own puter and it works like a charm and I am a happy little me.

Yes - I do update. I understood well the idea and concept. I even overdid it partly and do have long evenings ahead of sorting out the fourth and fifth duplicate of a file. Most of it was back when external drives were no option for me, so C/DVDs. Yes.

Just Joined!
    Yes, backup to CD's - what a pain! At least it was better than backing up to a floppy disk