Find the answer to your Linux question:
December 20th 2011 The CentOS team is pleased to announce the immediate availability of CentOS-6.2 for i386 and x86_64 Architectures. CentOS-6.2 is based on the upstream release EL 6.2 and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CentOS-6.2 is released

December 20th 2011

The CentOS team is pleased to announce the immediate availability of CentOS-6.2 for i386 and x86_64 Architectures.

CentOS-6.2 is based on the upstream release EL 6.2 and includes
    packages from all variants. All upstream repositories have been combined into one, to make it easier for end users to work with.

There are some important changes to this release compared with the previous versions of CentOS and we highly recommend reading this announcement along with the Release Notes.

LiveCDs and LiveDVDs for i386 and x86_64 are also released. These bring in the ability to directly install from the live media.

There is also a minimal install CD that will get you a very small base install that you can add to.

And now: Have fun.

Release Notes: CentOS
    Download: i386 | x86_64

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Yes, I was surprised to read this announcement. I switched to Scientific Linux 6.x because CentOS was so slow in supporting RHEL 6.x - I used CentOS for many years before that, switching at the end of last year. SL has an alpha of 6.2 available, but only has released up to 6.1, which I use in my laptop (6.0 on my workstation/server). Anyway, I'm happy that CentOS seems to have worked out their political issues in a manner that lets them track RHEL releases more closely. Good work, CentOS! FWIW, I would recommend either CentOS or SL for enterprise class systems that need RHEL compatibility and stability, without the subscription costs.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I know SL is another rebuild release version of RHEL like CentOS, but didn't install it in my working server even when CentOS was so slow in supporting RHEL 6.x. Now, eveything is gone. CentOS catch up with the mainline of RHEL at last.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Yes, I was surprised to read this announcement. I switched to Scientific Linux 6.x because CentOS was so slow in supporting RHEL 6.x - I used CentOS for many years before that, switching at the end of last year. SL has an alpha of 6.2 available, but only has released up to 6.1, which I use in my laptop (6.0 on my workstation/server). Anyway, I'm happy that CentOS seems to have worked out their political issues in a manner that lets them track RHEL releases more closely. Good work, CentOS! FWIW, I would recommend either CentOS or SL for enterprise class systems that need RHEL compatibility and stability, without the subscription costs.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I'm pleasantly surprised by this. I had moved some of my machines to Scientific Linux because I'd got tired of CentOS lagging way behind RHEL and other RHEL rebuilds. Hopefully they have finally got their act together.