Find the answer to your Linux question:
SO, I've used linux exclusively since around 2005. my modem started dropping carrier last month, I finally got ahold of ATT. and we resolved the issue....for a few hours..I was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

it's happening.

SO, I've used linux exclusively since around 2005. my modem started dropping carrier last month, I finally got ahold of ATT. and we resolved the issue....for a few hours..I was using a Dlink modem, they said I should be using a ATT modem, so I dug mine out ( been sitting for 2 years) the modem works all lights come on, but I get re-directed to ATT, and it says " your internet account will not work with your current operating system" o.k isn't there some sort of law against a company forcing you to install windows ? This is the begining of the end of freedom of choice...any one else run into this ?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've been using Linux and OSX exclusively with AT&T for years now. You say you are using a DLink (now an AT&T) modem. Is that directly attached to the system, or do you have it attached to a router? FWIW, NEVER attach your system directly to the Internet via a modem - you are susceptible to attack from the outside world. A router will use NAT (Network Address Translation) to "hide" your systems behind the router/firewall so that external systems cannot access them directly.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I used to work the support line for an ISP.
    Some companies will set their DHCP servers to direct you to a registration page when attaching a new modem. Modem provisioning, really.
    Those pages are set to operate with a Windows OS, and only Internet Explorer or Firefox.
    Is it possible that this is what you were seeing?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Newbie
    yeh Jay that sounds like the page I see, how ever, I cannot do anything....I cannot log into my modem. the att site is locked into the bar. so catch 22. it says my password don't match in my modem, easy enough, just log into the modem...it will not let me log into the modem...because it says windows required to do so...which makes no sense i have NEVER used windows to begin with alway linux. how do I get into my modem, if I can't clear out the bar to type 192.168.254 in? thanks

Usually, a newly switched out modem can be provisioned for use from the server side. Gotta call the ISP tech line for that. But with the ISP I worked for, it was usually a simple process of feeding in the new MAC address for the modem.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

can't you just pull the net connection on the modem, cycle the power on the modem, restart the web browser and login using http://192.whatever?

Linux Newbie
    that's what my rant is about Jonathan...I've been in my modem many many times over the years...now I can't..because the second the 2wire modem turns on...it goes straight to ATT...and att stays in the bar, cannot be deleted to type 192........ what's even weirder, is I used this modem 2 weeks ago, and it didn't do this, it just turned on and I opened firefox. this is just bizarre. I guess I'll just buy another cheap D-link...against ATT's wishes. but hey, I tried to use theirs.