Find the answer to your Linux question:
Let it be known that I am still new to Linux and trying out new things! Im using KDE for the first time now guys. I really like what I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Just installed openSUSE: my thoughts!

Let it be known that I am still new to Linux and trying out new things!

Im using KDE for the first time now guys. I really like what I see with open-SUSE 12.1. It looks the part and I never been more motivated to use Firefox as my default browser for some reason. In open-SUSE 12.1 Firefox seems perfect compared to the other distros I tried like Linux Mint 11 and Ubuntu 11.04. The only problem I have is getting use to how openSUSE deals with installing software. Its easy but not as easy as a Debian based distros. Also I dont understand why I can not create icons on my desktop. Well I could be they have to be inside that little plasma square that KDE provides on the desktop(Why I have no clue). Certain things like right clicking do not present options that you would expect in KED. I thing that KDE looks very modern but I find it harder to navigate then gome, gome 2.x that is since I have not tried gome 3.x yet. But I am torn because I really love the modern look of KDE, it almost reminds me of a mac but Im use to how gome functions in general and the applications associated with gnome. Should I stick with open-SUSE, or go back to Mint and just install gnome 3 since I am use to mint? Is there a good reason to stick with open-SUSE besides how damn sexy its KDE version looks?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I always say that if you like a distribution stick with it.; but be a hussy and keep trying other distributions as you may find one you like more.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Agreed. There is such a variety of distros, that trying a few out is really half the fun!
    And a good way to go about it is to either try them out in a virtual machine, or to setup a dual-boot system.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by DEdesigns57 View Post
    Let it be known that I am still new to Linux and trying out new things!
    Let it be known that new or old, there is no end to it!

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You can create icons on your KDE4 desktop. I tend to change the desktop settings so that they mimic traditional desktops by right clicking on the desktop -> Folder View Settings -> Show the desktop folder. You can then drag and drop shortcuts from the menu to the desktop or create your own by right clicking on the desktop -> create new -> link to application. As for software management, Zypper which is command line based is quite similar to apt-get on Debian based distros and the GUI tools are great in my opinion. You can also do one click installs from packages that are available from software.opensuse.org.