Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Randicus
I have only tried gnome 2.x and KDE 4.7 and I like them both. I love how sexy KDE looks but gnome seemed like more of a familiar desktop, which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KDE4.x or Gnome 3.x

I have only tried gnome 2.x and KDE 4.7 and I like them both. I love how sexy KDE looks but gnome seemed like more of a familiar desktop, which made it easier. What do you guys think I should stick too, I herd that KDE is more like windows which makes it more dumbed down or something. But to be honest I donít agree. As a matter of fact I have had more of a windows like experience with gnome in Linux mint 11 than I have had in open-SUSE 12.1 KDE. I found mint easier and more user friendly while I found KDE(SUSE) More cool, way more cool!, but harder to navigate. I want to hear what you guys have to say in general about these desktops since I am still very new to Linux.

Hello and Welcome to the forums.
    In my opinion and I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say that the best DE (Desktop Environment) is the one that works for you. Forget about all the comments/hearsay/rumors/ about everything and just try them out and decide for yourself. Whatever works best for you is "The Best" because only you know what you like and don't like. I have heard the KDE is Windows comments and I disagree also. I don't think either Gnome nor KDE look, act or feel like any version of Windows I have ever used. The might be similar in that they all use Backgrounds...menus, start buttons. You can make a DE look a lot like Windows but I would not advise any one to do that.

I also think you should try Gnome-3.x also before you make your final choice. Good luck and do let us know how it goes.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

As already stated, the best thing to do is try different desktop environments. I would add that you have more of a choice than just Gnome and Kde. There are also many smaller DEs that do not have eye candy, bells and whistles, but are efficient and do not slow down the computer. It depends on whether you prefer simple, quick and easy to use, or pretty with many features you will never use.
    One of the best things about GNU-Linux is that after one has attained a little knowledge, one can modify the system to one's heart is content.
    MikeTbob likes this.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by DEdesigns57 View Post
    I want to hear what you guys have to say in general about these desktops since I am still very new to Linux.
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

After trying almost every desktop environment and window manager out there multiple times over the years, I can tell you that they all have their good and bad points, and you'll find annoyances with all of them that may not be easily resolved. What one person sees as a pro, you might find to be a con (and vice versa), so in the end each user has to try any DEs or WMs they think they might be interested in and then decide for him/herself what works best, and what annoyances they can or can't live with. I have yet to find one that is even near to perfection, but I could use just about any of them if really necessary.

It takes a little time and effort to experiment with the various options available to you, but it's all well worth it in my opinion.
    oz