Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Irithori
  • 1 Post By jayd512
  • 1 Post By MASONTX
  • 1 Post By nujinini
Hi Everyone, I am a new user in your big Community. I am a beginner at Linux. I do not know a lot about it, but I think Linux is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I am new in Linux Forums.

Hi Everyone,

I am a new user in your big Community. I am a beginner at Linux. I do not know a lot about it, but I think Linux is pretty intresting. Origanlly, I am a microsoft fan. I used to Develop Windows XP, but now I am looking forward to developing Linux and make my own linux OS. I heard about your comunnity through many pepole, and I heard that you make teams of users who make their own Linux and publish it to the world, so is this true? And where can I join one of these teams? Also, where can I learn about Linux? Also, can you provide me with the best Linux package (other than Ubuntu because I do not like it) so that I install it?

Thanks in Advance

hi and welcome

There is no "the best linux distribution"
    Because, if there was one, then there wouldnt be so many

A distro is usually geared for a usecase or group of people.
    For example:
    RedHat/CentOS/Scientific Linux/debian are for heavy duty server purposes.
    So you can run thousands of servers with them, but probably not the latest fancy wifi or sound card.

Fedora/ubuntu/mint are more for the typical desktop user.
    Lots of graphical gimmicks.

Distrowatch has a good overview.

If you want to learn what makes linux tick,
    I suggest to do a Linux From Scratch
    windowsemirates likes this.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Hello and Welcome!

As far as making teams, that's a new one on me!
    You can, however, post your ideas and questions. Someone may pop-in and add to your thoughts, or point you towards some development team.
    Also, where can I learn about Linux?
    Use it. That's honestly the best way that I've found. Use it, break it, fix it... and use it some more.
    To get some quick tips, though, check out these sites. Great resources for those new to the Linux world:
    LinuxCommand.org: Learn the Linux command line. Write shell scripts.
    Bash scripting Tutorial

Also, can you provide me with the best Linux package (other than Ubuntu because I do not like it) so that I install it?
    I've seen it posted here before, that that's like asking what flavor of ice cream is the best.
    I could tell you which one I think is best, but there would be a lot of remarks concerning that!
    Try a few for yourself. I used Ubuntu for a while, and was happy with it. But I've also used Fedora, CRUX, Mint, and others. Using Slackware, at the moment.
    Take a look at DistroWatch. Lot's of information regarding each distribution, and links to reviews.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks gys, but now I want to learn about developent of Liunx, I will install Ubuntu because it sounds pretty intresting.

Thanks a lotttttttttttttttttttttttt

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you join us,
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Thanks For You All Gys,

But the most important and what I have been searching about is that how to make a linux from scratch.

Just Joined!
    Now I am writing to you from Ubuntu Linux. It is Very Interesting and easy to use and install.

Welcome to LF windowsemirates!

Yes, Ubuntu linux, IMHO has really improved by leaps and bounds since the first time I tried to use it. Glad you are enjoying it. Keep the fire!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!
    Thank You all Gys for your hard Support

I learned about Susestudio.com and it was quiet intresting, I made a linux called 'Emirates Linux', it worked successfully, It is the first step for me, but now I need to attend on myself not on the other websites in building Linux

Instead of building Linux from Scratch. You can get your feet wet with a Arch,or Crux,or Gentoo,or Debian Net, or AntiX Core,or pupngo, or Ubuntu Minimal CD type of install and build up from there.

It won't be a cake walk for a novice linux user though.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home