Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, My friend has a computer that is almost totally fragmented, the Win defrag tool shows it as all red with very few lines being non-fragmented. It's an old ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I defragment Windows using Linux?

Hello all,
    My friend has a computer that is almost totally fragmented, the Win defrag tool shows it as all red with very few lines being non-fragmented. It's an old question, but what distro can I use as a Live CD to defrag his drive?

I have read how to do it using a windows emergency recovery disk but it seems I have to jump through hoops to make one. Is there an easier way to get this done?

I'm not new but I forgot my password when I changed to a new computer, oops!

Thanks!

Nathan

Hi Nathan!

Welcome to Linux Forums!

I googled around and saw this link.

Hope it can help point you to what you are trying to do!

regards,

nujinini
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

Linux filesystems generally will not become fragmented the way Windows filesystems do, so I don't believe there has been much effort by developers to create defragmentation utilities that are native to Linux.

Just an idea here, but you could try using something like FSArchiver to create an archive of the partitions in question, and then do a restore. FSArchiver will format the partitions before restoring the archive, so that should defragment things pretty well.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I think the poster is asking how to defrag a Windows drive from Linux. I think the only way to do that would be to backup the Windows drive to a tarball, erase everything from the Windows drive, and then restore from the tarball. If anyone has a better method, I'd like to hear about it.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Some more information. It seems that tar, format, restore is the way to go.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    Nathan, if you should decide you want to try the FSArchiver method described above, I'd recommend running it from a liveCD such as the Parted Magic LiveCD:

Parted Magic
    oz

lotsa megs but prob easiest to just burn Hiren's BootCD,

good bet low meg ways to go about it also,

hook up the drive to another win rig,

install win on another separate partition
    Last edited by jonyo; 12-29-2011 at 12:07 AM.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for all the replies, all of them are insightful! Right, I need to boot to a live cd to defrag the main drive that still works while it still works. It's almost totally fragmented so doing anything from Windows is a moot point. I'm going to go with Hiram's boot cd first, and work from there-- trying to go from the least intensive process to the most to try to keep the workload short. It's at somebody else's house, so I don't want to sit there for hours on end.

I thought of defragging it as a slave drive, but that can make Win act funny, especially since it's win7 as the slave and XP as the host. If it would work, with Win permissions and all.

Thanks, and I'll let you know what happens.

Nathan

Hiren's BootCD 15.1 - All in one Bootable CD www.hiren.info

Mini Windows Xp
    Portable Windows Xp that runs from CD/USB/Ram Drive to repair/recover dead windows operating system. It has LAN and WLAN (Wireless) Network includes 300 WiFi/Ethernet card drivers and can also be customized easily to add your own drivers in HBCD\Drivers folder. Added some USB 3.0 and SATA/SCSI/SAS Storage drivers, Dynamic disk Spanned/Striped/Mirrored/RAID-5 Volume support, PDF Printer and VBS/WSH scripting support.

<snip>

Optimizers
    Defraggler 2.07.346
    to defrag your entire hard drive or individual files.
    MyDefrag 4.3.1
    Free disk defragment and optimize utility (formerly JkDefrag) for Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista/Windows 7.
    NT Registry Optimizer 1.1j
    Registry Optimization for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista.
    PageDfrg 2.32
    System file Defragmenter For NT/2k/XP
    one low meg option involves making a boot CD from a partition prog like easeus or paragon