Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: What do you currently use as your default Linux distribution?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • RPM-based: (Redhat, Fedora, Mandriva, OpenSUSE, etc.)

15 23.81%
  • DEB-based: (Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, Mepis, etc.)

32 50.79%
  • Source-based: (Crux, Gentoo, LFS, etc.)

7 11.11%
  • Other (please specify)

9 14.29%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
For me Arch, Gentoo and Mint ... and sometimes Crux...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

For me Arch, Gentoo and Mint ... and sometimes Crux

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I've currently switched back to Xubuntu for the time being. I'm still looking for my perfect distro which would have the stability of Debian Stable and the up to date software of Debian Testing* which is a pipe dream I know as they are mutually exclusive. Backports does help but it's not the same.

LMDE comes close with it's "incoming" and "latest" repositories but they were rarely updated and with all the things the Mint team are doing I wonder about the future viability of what was an experimental project.

* I guess that would be "Debian Stabbing" then
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I'm still looking for my perfect distro which would have the stability of Debian Stable and the up to date software of Debian Testing* which is a pipe dream I know as they are mutually exclusive. Backports does help but it's not the same.
    Yes unfortunately such a distro does not exist. The best approach, in my opinion, is stable with backports, combined with your own backported stuff.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Debian

Debian squeeze with xfce

Just Joined!
    I chose the distribution in the transition from Windows. I installed Debian on all computers.
    The first six months I used the stable branch (Lenny). After I passed to testing. I'm happy with my choice.

Now I use Debian Wheezy amd64

Currently running Fedora 16 with Gnome, but undecided as to whether to stay with Gnome or switch to xfce.

Long time Fedora fan here mainly using F16 for dev purpose and Ubuntu with others (debain/Mandriva/LFS) available on my lappy.

Quote Originally Posted by pieman View Post
    Currently running Fedora 16 with Gnome, but undecided as to whether to stay with Gnome or switch to xfce.
    I almost decided to leave F16 because Gnome 3 - I really the hate the fancy stuffs they have added recently.Thankfully,I some gnome-tweak-tool ,now it looks somewhat better.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    Long time Fedora fan here mainly using F16 for dev purpose and Ubuntu with others (debain/Mandriva/LFS) available on my lappy.

I almost decided to leave F16 because Gnome 3 - I really the hate the fancy stuffs they have added recently.Thankfully,I some gnome-tweak-tool ,now it looks somewhat better.
    What sort of tweaks have you made to make it look better? I've not managed to get this working so far so I'd be interested in knowing what it can do.

Quote Originally Posted by pieman View Post
    What sort of tweaks have you made to make it look better? I've not managed to get this working so far so I'd be interested in knowing what it can do.
    Personally I don't like Gnome3 - It missing the application/places/system start menu bars and We can't add shortcut icons to desktop panel or desktop. Default Desktop switcher was annoying , So I was try to get them back as far as possible.

I played with gnome-tweak-tool items like "Desktop" and "Shell" - i started to feel better.

(ubuntu ) link for tool -
    Tweak Ubuntu Gnome Settings And Shell With Gnome Tweak Tool
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    Personally I don't like Gnome3 - It missing the application/places/system start menu bars and We can't add shortcut icons to desktop panel or desktop. Default Desktop switcher was annoying , So I was try to get them back as far as possible.

I played with gnome-tweak-tool items like "Desktop" and "Shell" - i started to feel better.
    Thanks for the info. I'll check it out

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast