Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: What desktop environment or window manager (GUI) are you running?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • gnome3

4 9.76%
  • kde4

4 9.76%
  • lxde

3 7.32%
  • xfce4

8 19.51%
  • icewm

4 9.76%
  • fluxbox

1 2.44%
  • openbox

5 12.20%
  • blackbox

1 2.44%
  • enlightenment

2 4.88%
  • other (please specify)

9 21.95%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
It's a lead... but not much of one! I think the telling point here is the variety of DEs and WMs that we are seeing... especially when you compare to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

It's a lead... but not much of one!
    I think the telling point here is the variety of DEs and WMs that we are seeing... especially when you compare to last years poll.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    It's a lead... but not much of one!
    I think the telling point here is the variety of DEs and WMs that we are seeing... especially when you compare to last years poll.
    I think that it is telling us that the DE/WM designers have seriously mis-read the needs of their users. Eye candy is all well and good, but they have seriously messed up with regard to the KISS principal. People want their DE's to be simple, intuitive, and fast. Why? Because we use the DE simply as a platform to run other stuff on. If it gets in the way, then it has lost the battle for the consumer.

And just as an aside, I was able to blue-screen my Windows 7 system at work today! Yet I don't remember the last time I had a Linux kernel panic...
    cynwulf likes this.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I think that it is telling us that the DE/WM designers have seriously mis-read the needs of their users. Eye candy is all well and good, but they have seriously messed up with regard to the KISS principal. People want their DE's to be simple, intuitive, and fast. Why? Because we use the DE simply as a platform to run other stuff on. If it gets in the way, then it has lost the battle for the consumer.
    Everything you said justifies me using IceWM.
    Dapper Dan likes this.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Everything you said justifies me using IceWM.
    I recently installed Ubuntu 11.10 in a VM to check some things out. You know, I think they have regressed to VERY early MWM (Motif Window Manager)... It had the same sort of application icon doc as Gnome 3 has! And that was in the early 1990's!

Gnome version 2, as bundled with Red Hat 5, although there's a very strong part of me that would prefer to go all the way back to fvwm (or maybe even mwm) and ditch the desktop altogether, and stop wasting CPU power on eye candy.

Quote Originally Posted by shamino View Post
    Gnome version 2, as bundled with Red Hat 5, although there's a very strong part of me that would prefer to go all the way back to fvwm (or maybe even mwm) and ditch the desktop altogether, and stop wasting CPU power on eye candy.
    Well, you can always boot to runlevel 3 and only start the GUI when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    we use the DE simply as a platform to run other stuff on. If it gets in the way, then it has lost the battle for the consumer.
    I think that's a key point, in that some DEs are getting too self absorbed - this is not limited to GNU/Linux either - smartphone UIs, OSX and Windows are suffering from the same malady...

To be honest I'm neutral on gnome 3's and KDE 4.x's "direction" - as the only DE I can stand for long periods is Xfce and I much prefer window managers such as icewm, fluxbox and openbox, which I'm using at the moment. The way I see it the end user has a choice - they can opt for something else and in doing so that something else will get a much needed boost and fill the gap... this maintains the "balance" as it were. There's no need for all of the puerile nonsense we've seen from the fanbois over the likes of gnome 3 and unity... FLOSS is about having a choice, it's not about being chained to an OS and having to accept whatever they decide to foist upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by caravel View Post
    I think that's a key point, in that some DEs are getting too self absorbed - this is not limited to GNU/Linux either - smartphone UIs, OSX and Windows are suffering from the same malady...

To be honest I'm neutral on gnome 3's and KDE 4.x's "direction" - as the only DE I can stand for long periods is Xfce and I much prefer window managers such as icewm, fluxbox and openbox, which I'm using at the moment. The way I see it the end user has a choice - they can opt for something else and in doing so that something else will get a much needed boost and fill the gap... this maintains the "balance" as it were. There's no need for all of the puerile nonsense we've seen from the fanbois over the likes of gnome 3 and unity... FLOSS is about having a choice, it's not about being chained to an OS and having to accept whatever they decide to foist upon you.
    Well, generally I use a Gnome DE (2.28 - RHEL 6.2 or clone), but for servers, I do install Gnome, but I boot them into run level 3 (no GUI). Then, if I want the GUI, I can start it easily enough with the startx command. There are times when the GUI configuration tools are preferable (less error-prone) than the command line ones, or needing to edit configuration files directly. As I always tell my younger colleagues, use what works most reliably for you. There is no single "solution" for this stuff. And FWIW, apparently Microsoft is learning that lesson for Windows 8 servers.

Openbox
    With fbpanel and three custom themes I created, my Openbox is prettier than any of the full-blown desktop environments.
    Wonderfully quick. No need to watch a stupid dancing icon, while waiting ... still waiting for an application to open.
    No navigating through a series of full-screen menus. Simply open a small menu and click.
    Openbox rules!

I'm tellin' you... no GUI installed unless you like IceWM.
    If you're using my computer, you are gonna be using a no-nonsense grease-lightning interface.
    SL6-A1000 likes this.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast