Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: What desktop environment or window manager (GUI) are you running?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • gnome3

4 9.76%
  • kde4

4 9.76%
  • lxde

3 7.32%
  • xfce4

8 19.51%
  • icewm

4 9.76%
  • fluxbox

1 2.44%
  • openbox

5 12.20%
  • blackbox

1 2.44%
  • enlightenment

2 4.88%
  • other (please specify)

9 21.95%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
@randicus and jay. You guys are starting to sound like me. You like choppers better than baggers. Hotrods instead of Limousines. I've been a Fluxbox/Icewm fan now for years and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

@randicus and jay. You guys are starting to sound like me. You like choppers better than baggers. Hotrods instead of Limousines.

I've been a Fluxbox/Icewm fan now for years and run some of the coolest (should I say only) Desktops and themes in my small town as far as my biker bros tell me when they come in the shop. I had a windstream ISP tech after he saw how fast I booted up and connected to the internet drop his jaw in amazement. I gave him a Puppy 4.31 CD to take home and play with. Same same for some other bikers. They probably booted up once or twice and went back to Windows though.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Actually, it does not bother me if a system is slow, because the DE is loaded with features, if the features are useful. What bothers me, is when a DE slows the system down, because it is loaded with useless features. Such as full-screen menus, dancing icons and music.

It boils down to functionality. Slow and functional is better than slow and useless. So I remove the flotsam and jetsam and end up with a fast system.

Same here. I can appreciate a bit of eye-candy, but there's a limit to what you can pack in there before you eat up all your resources.
    And that's when you start to lose functionality. Unless you run a quad-core 8 GB RAM machine!

Personally, I prefer simplicity in my system. IceWM gives me speed and simplicity. It's got very low overhead. And it still looks good.
    Dapper Dan and shamino like this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I think it's awesome that XFCE4 and "other" are leading the vote. Not what I would have expected before the poll began. I figured Gnome would run away with it.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

LQ recently had a poll called Users' Choice Awards. KDE captured about 2/5 ths of the votes. I do not know why. Gnome was a close second, and XFCE a respectable third. Openbox did not do that well. Most polls will have the same results.

I too am a little surprised at the results of this poll so far, but it is only the beginning. I believe only 28 votes so far. In the end, KDE and Gnome will probably come out on top, but at this stage it is nice to see LXDE, XFCE and Openbox leading the pack. If only it was a reflection of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Randicus View Post
    LQ recently had a poll called Users' Choice Awards. KDE captured about 2/5 ths of the votes. I do not know why. Gnome was a close second, and XFCE a respectable third. Openbox did not do that well. Most polls will have the same results.

I too am a little surprised at the results of this poll so far, but it is only the beginning. I believe only 28 votes so far. In the end, KDE and Gnome will probably come out on top, but at this stage it is nice to see LXDE, XFCE and Openbox leading the pack. If only it was a reflection of reality.
    It comes down to reputation... at least in my opinion. I agree, although why isn't Unity listed? I would have put the Unity Desktop as one of the heavy weight contenders. Its just as controversial as GNOME or KDE in terms of popularity

I am surprised that Window Maker wasn't mentioned as one of the options. Being such a lightweight WM and so configurable i would have thought it would be up there or at least given as an option.

Or isn't Window Maker that popular anymore??
    The developers of Window Maker have just released a Live installable system, called Windows Maker Live: It a Debian testing based system.
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 03-18-2012 at 03:11 AM.

I do not believe Window Maker is very popular. If I remember correctly, it was not listed as an option in the aforementioned LQ poll either. It is also rarely mentioned on any forum I have visited. There is lots of discussion concerning KDE, Gnome, XFCE, LXDE, Openbox, Fluxbox and Awesome, but not Window Maker. In fact, I have seen other little-used WMs mentioned more often. Judging by the lack discussion, it appears Window Maker has few adherents.

As for Unity, it is the primary reason many people stopped using Ubuntu. And many more people who hate it continue to use Ubuntu only because they can use Gnome 2. When Ubuntu ceases support for Gnome, there will be another mass exodus. So I doubt Unity will a "heavy-weight."

Quote Originally Posted by Randicus View Post
    I do not believe Window Maker is very popular. If I remember correctly, it was not listed as an option in the aforementioned LQ poll either. It is also rarely mentioned on any forum I have visited. There is lots of discussion concerning KDE, Gnome, XFCE, LXDE, Openbox, Fluxbox and Awesome, but not Window Maker. In fact, I have seen other little-used WMs mentioned more often. Judging by the lack discussion, it appears Window Maker has few adherents.

As for Unity, it is the primary reason many people stopped using Ubuntu. And many more people who hate it continue to use Ubuntu only because they can use Gnome 2. When Ubuntu ceases support for Gnome, there will be another mass exodus. So I doubt Unity will a "heavy-weight."
    Oh i see :P So Unity isn't listed out of spite for Ubuntu...! Fair enough

Thats ashame about Window Maker it seems like it would have potential.

I do not know about spite. Perhaps the makers of the poll feel Unity has no future. Or maybe it was just forgotten. (accidental oversight)

As for Window Maker, I find it to be highly configurable, but I do not like the huge icons. (And most of them are also ugly.) Of course, huge icons should put WM on par with Unity and KDE. It's lack of popularity is probably do to the "unattractive" nature of the icons and windows. In other words, the eye candy is not as nice as KDE. Window Maker is in an awkward middle ground. It loses in the competition with window managers because it has too much, and loses to DEs because it has too little. At least, that is my take on the situation.

I could be mistaken but I think ten is the maximum options allowed on polls.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast