Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: What desktop environment or window manager (GUI) are you running?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • gnome3

4 9.76%
  • kde4

4 9.76%
  • lxde

3 7.32%
  • xfce4

8 19.51%
  • icewm

4 9.76%
  • fluxbox

1 2.44%
  • openbox

5 12.20%
  • blackbox

1 2.44%
  • enlightenment

2 4.88%
  • other (please specify)

9 21.95%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
It doesn't really bother me, that Unity isn't mentioned, it was more a surprise... I mean despite its high dislike i still would have thought it would be in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

It doesn't really bother me, that Unity isn't mentioned, it was more a surprise... I mean despite its high dislike i still would have thought it would be in the poll, just to see how popular it really is.

@Randicus: i know its not really out of spite, i was just being silly. Yeah, i can see what your talking about, although i have noticed that Window Makers icons can be adjusted in size and the dock is configurable. I don't think there is anything wrong with the Unity look. However i don't know if Windows Maker can provide more colour or even transparency, i must admit that is one of the reasons i don't love it. Too much grey... it makes you feel like your in the 90's desktop era.

I'm tellin' you... no GUI installed unless you like IceWM.
    If you're using my computer, you are gonna be using a no-nonsense grease-lightning interface.
    @Jayd512: How do we get this no-nonsense grease-lighting interface??

It sounds like just the sort of interface Windows and i need. I think if you were to create a DE or WM, you would reach top place for an awesome desktop name.

lol "What desktop environment are you running?"
    I am running the no-nosense grease-lightning interface (NN-GLI for short)

Someone should seriously make the Dancing Banana a Linux OS Mascot, it is just hilarious. It could be called Bananarama Linux with a banana theme and the NN-GLI hehehehe
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 03-18-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    Someone should seriously make the Dancing Banana a Linux OS Mascot, it is just hilarious. It could be called Bananarama Linux with a banana theme and the NN-GLI hehehehe
    Fifty lashes with a wet noodle for you. Do not post such things. It might give people evil ideas, like creating an OS with a pink theme and white ribbon logo. I shudder at the thought.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by Randicus View Post
    Fifty lashes with a wet noodle for you. Do not post such things. It might give people evil ideas, like creating an OS with a pink theme and white ribbon logo. I shudder at the thought.
    It doesn't matter how evil you think you are being, someone is worse
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    LQ recently had a poll called Users' Choice Awards. KDE captured about 2/5 ths of the votes. I do not know why. Gnome was a close second, and XFCE a respectable third.
    A lot of Slackers at LQ, and Slackware does not include gnome as part of it's main repos - which is why the poll is skewed.

Openbox did not do that well. Most polls will have the same results.
    Popularity doesn't really bother me. I use Openbox because it suits me, not because it suits others.

(btw I just tried fbpanel - looks good, but I will stick with my tint2 panel for now.)

I am not evil, just not very good.

I remember seeing the screen grab with the woman singing on the left and Tux on the right a while back. It was a link in a post at LQ. That was as far as I got. With your link, I actually read the review just for a laugh. I feel sorry for the reviewer.
    Perhaps a Tux-themed distribution would be interesting. Black, white and yellow colour scheme; Tux included on all icons; iceberg wallpaper; and a quack or some other bird sound when an operation begins and closes.

I just burned a Source Mage disc. I want to try it out in Virtual Box, because I want to see if the sorcery theme is really good or really bad.

It was a Joke Randicus...!

What someone does with the idea is up to them, people don't need my idea to create an abomination. They can do it themselves.

Although i fail to see how a pink theme with a white logo is evil, its just the same as creating a blue themed linux with a white logo.
    Dapper Dan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    Although i fail to see how a pink theme with a white logo is evil ...
    Then my idea of evil is different than yours. When I think of pink and white with ribbons, I envisage Brittany Spears on the screen.Uncontrollable shudders!

caravel
    (btw I just tried fbpanel - looks good, but I will stick with my tint2 panel for now.)
    I use fbpanel for four reasons.
    1) I had trouble trying to configure tint and gave up on it.
    2) I like a transparent panel.
    3) It does not have any dependencies. Lxpanel requires installing a bunch of LXDE stuff.
    4) The Debian logo can be included on the panel.

Randicus,

1) It's actually very easy once you get into it. I believe I found the most info on tint2 in the arch wiki...

2) tint2 supports transparency with or without a compositor . xcompmgr is a lightweight compositor.

3/4) True.

Personally what puts me off fbpanel is the menu. I have grown accustomed to the right click openbox root menu and having another root menu would just seem odd. Plus the workspace switcher and other clutter are other things that I don't use and would have to spend time removing/configuring.
    Last edited by cynwulf; 03-19-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: correction

I use xcompmgr and Compiz to achieve transparency, because Cairo-clock looks terrible without a compositor.

I had two problems with tint. The first was that panel was completely unresponsive. Both left- and right-clicking did nothing. All I had was a panel at the bottom of the screen that showed running applications.

The second problem was that changing the configuration file also did nothing. For example, when the position was changed to top in the config. file, the panel was still on the bottom of the screen. Believe me, I checked the Arch forum for ideas, and even tried a few, but to no avail.

I gave up on tint, because fbpanel works well for me.

tint2 has an option to make it right clickable. Not sure why editing the config didn't work for you.

//edit: correction to previous post, tint2 does support pseudo transparency. It's working fine here and I've stopped using xcompmgr.

Code:
    $ apt-cache policy tint2
    tint2:
      Installed: 0.11+svn20111022-3
      Candidate: 0.11+svn20111022-3
      Version table:
     *** 0.11+svn20111022-3 0
            500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    Last edited by cynwulf; 03-19-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: transparency

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast