Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Which distribution would you most recommend for new Linux users?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • debian

1 3.70%
  • fedora

4 14.81%
  • mandriva

0 0%
  • mint

9 33.33%
  • opensuse

0 0%
  • pclinuxos

0 0%
  • puppy

0 0%
  • slackware

0 0%
  • ubuntu (any *buntu)

12 44.44%
  • other (please specify)

1 3.70%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Which distribution would you most recommend to those users that are new to Linux? Note that the poll for last year has been closed, but it can be found here: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Recommended Distro for New Linux Users (2012)

Which distribution would you most recommend to those users that are new to Linux?

Note that the poll for last year has been closed, but it can be found here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...rs-2011-a.html
    oz

I would be recommending ubuntu. Since from my own experience, it is the least stressful to use for beginners. And fully loaded too. MInt would be my second choice however.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

I used to think Ubuntu would be the best. But what with Unity taking hold, and the amount of complaints about it, I have to go with Mint.
    The extensions and tweaks that the Mint team worked into the GUI make it seem, to me, like it would be just that little bit easier for a newbie to navigate.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

For a clueless new User. I started recommending ElementaryOS since it locks you out of editing the Desktop.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I'd recommend Linux Mint to newbies. Their customisation and inclusion of plugins and codecs, makes it easy for beginners to get started.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Mint is a very good choice for newbies
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Mint is best for new Linux Users. Mint 12 provides session options like Gnome, Gnome Classic and Mate by default. It has almost everything a new user can ask for.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    LMDE, or any flavor Mint

Trusted Penguin
    I think this question is a bit too general.

If the new user is my gam-gam, or somebody who plans on spending the absolute bare minimum on their PC and could care less what their OS actually is, then I'd say something like Mint or PCLinuxOS. Otherwise, if it is for someone truly looking to switch over to Linux and embrace it, then I disagree with the idea of sugar-coating it or easing them into it. Suggest to them the distro that you believe best represents what it is they want to do with their PC. Many of the mainstream distros are sophisticated enough to be fairly easy for anyone to adopt who is interested in spending a little time learning the ins and outs of their OS. I.e., if the person was willing to "customize" their previous Windows OS and become a "power user" on it, then they are perfectly capable of handling a great host of the Linux distros out there that are RPM/DEB based. FWIW, I said Fedora.

Disclaimer: i've suggested Mint myself to new users before...but I regret that advice, now. From what I've read, Mint is quite remarkable and hassle-free, so please don't be a hater. I just say, consider the goals of the user, internally rate their geek cred, and go with what is best for them, versus what is easiest.
    jayd512 likes this.

Awesome answer, atreyu!

And, for what it's worth, as a new user my first install was Fedora Core 6. So I'm with you on that.
    But, I have to admit, Fedora does make you jump through a few little hoops to get a fully functioning system. Mainly in the form of MM codecs or whatnot.
    So Fedora is a great starting point.
    The only reason I, personally, suggest Mint... the inclusion of those codecs. It helps showcase Linux just a tiny bit more. The fact that a freshly installed system can already have Flash? Or DVD playback? Now, the last Windows install I did was XP... but it wasn't that easy even then!
    And since you can still dig into the CLI and tinker, if you choose, then Mint is my first suggestion.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast