Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 34 of 62 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Originally Posted by oz Machete was meant to be far over the top, ridiculously violent, darkly humorous, and taken to the extreme in every way. That Banderas movie you bring ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Machete was meant to be far over the top, ridiculously violent, darkly humorous, and taken to the extreme in every way. That Banderas movie you bring up was probably Once Upon a Time in Mexico. It, too, was meant to be taken to the extreme in most every way.

For those that like such movies, another one or two worth checking out are Crank and Crank: High Voltage:

Crank (2006) - IMDb

Crank: High Voltage (2009) - IMDb
    Oz, the movie is Desperado where Danny Trejo plays the knife thrower!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

oz
    forum.guy
    I just finished watching A Woman, a Gun, and a Noodle Shop:

A Woman, a Gun and a Noodle Shop (2009) - IMDb

The average score provided by others at IMDB.com isn't very high, but I personally liked this movie because of the beautiful cinematography, the fantastic audio track, and the story itself once it develops a bit. Probably not a "buy it" movie for some of you, but maybe worth at least renting/borrowing to check it out.
    oz

Trusted Penguin
    I'm very much looking forward to seeing The Amazing Spider-Man, but will probably wait for a blu-ray release
    oz, you're clearly a fan of blu-ray (or at least a regular consumer), so maybe you can answer this question that i've been wondering about lately:

I know BR provides more capacity on the media, but is the A/V playback quality significantly better? i mean, I have an HD TV and HD DVD player now, would I see/hear a noticeable improvement if I upgraded to a BR player (assuming I went middle-of-the-road, in terms of spending)? Or is it more a matter of keeping up w/the recording standard of the future?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    oz, you're clearly a fan of blu-ray (or at least a regular consumer), so maybe you can answer this question that i've been wondering about lately:

I know BR provides more capacity on the media, but is the A/V playback quality significantly better? i mean, I have an HD TV and HD DVD player now, would I see/hear a noticeable improvement if I upgraded to a BR player (assuming I went middle-of-the-road, in terms of spending)? Or is it more a matter of keeping up w/the recording standard of the future?
    Yes, I've moved totally to blu-ray discs now because the picture and audio quality are so much better than regular DVD, at least in most cases. In fact, I don't even watch regular DVDs any longer. Of course, there is always a chance for a bad transfer, even with blu-ray. That said, I'm unable to say how blu-ray compares with the HD-DVD format having never owned any HD-DVD discs. As for blu-ray player selection, I have a $200 player and a $600 dollar player, but the difference in them is more feature related than it is picture and audio quality related, or at least it seems that way to me.
    oz

Trusted Penguin
    Yes, I've moved totally to blu-ray discs now because the picture and audio quality are so much better than regular DVD, at least in most cases. In fact, I don't even watch regular DVDs any longer. Of course, there is always a chance for a bad transfer, even with blu-ray. That said, I'm unable to say how blu-ray compares with the HD-DVD format having never owned any HD-DVD discs. As for blu-ray player selection, I have a $200 player and a $600 dollar player, but the difference in them is more feature related than it is picture and audio quality related, or at least it seems that way to me.
    i take that back - my DVD player is a standard DVD player, not an HD DVD player. Although Sony did put HDX at the beginning of the model name, in order to confuse me. Anyway, thanks for the info.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    i take that back - my DVD player is a standard DVD player, not an HD DVD player. Although Sony did put HDX at the beginning of the model name, in order to confuse me.
    In that case, I'd definitely recommend the upgrade. Of course, as soon as you do that and you get a nice blu-ray movie library in place, the standard will change to something else that is "new, and improved".
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    The wife and I just finished watching Amélie:

Amélie (2001) - IMDb

This one is really different, and we liked most everything about it. This movie is filmed in a rather artistic manner, so it might not appeal to all of you. Also note that it's a French movie so if you don't speak French, you'll need to enable subtitles. It comes with great acting, cinematography, and musical score, and it has an interesting storyline that comes under the heading of drama, love story, and comedy.

Highly recommended!
    oz

The Way Back Machine

I watched an old VHS tape of 2 episodes each of The Outer Limits and Babylon 5; and then the cult Classic " Street Trash " which I plan to someday transfer to a DVD. ( Warning: street trash is not for children or for the squeamish!! )
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

oz
    forum.guy

probably worth a rental

For action movie fans, you might want to check out War:

War (2007) - IMDb

It's not great, but okay for a popcorn movie.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    I watched The Losers last night:

The Losers (2010) - IMDb

It's another good popcorn movie probably worth at least a rental.
    oz

Page 34 of 62 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 ... LastLast