Find the answer to your Linux question:
I remember someone telling me that any video that you watch on a website is stored/downloaded into your computer. Is this true? And if this is true then is there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Are all videos downloaded to your computer?

I remember someone telling me that any video that you watch on a website is stored/downloaded into your computer. Is this true? And if this is true then is there a way to accesses those videos so that I can save them can keep them permanently? For example I just saw the awesome video but its part of a series of episodes that changes every Sunday. Is there a way to keep the video that I just watched so that when the new one comes out I can have both?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    When you watch YouTube or Vimeo videos in your browser, they get buffered to your system disc. However, they are not kept there, and will be flushed at some point.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    There are some Firefox plugins that will save streams (such as unplug) but that may be in violation of the video streaming licence agreement.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I read on Mepis Forums

MEPIS Community Forum - View topic - Where is my You tube file video?

For firefox (I'm using FF, the youtube videos I play are being cached in my firefox profile folder.

For instance I just played a youtube video and found the cached file was ~/.mozilla/firefox/ma14z9qi.FF-6.0/Cache/E/71/26024d01

I think what I highlighted in red will be consistent (the 'ma14z9qi.FF-6.0' part will change to whatever the name is of your profile folder). The part I highlighted in green will probably be pretty random.

I found the file by using KMenu > Find Files/Folder. I set it up to search the ~/.mozilla/firefox/ma14z9qi.FF-6.0/Cache/ folder for files created or modified in the last 2 minutes (but didn't click the find button to start the searching). Then I started a youtube video playing, and then I clicked the find button. Then I sifted thru the search results.

I just played another youtube video, it's at ~/.mozilla/firefox/ma14z9qi.FF-6.0/Cache/2/7A/3A68Ad01
    Page 2 post 4 on down.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    There are some Firefox plugins that will save streams (such as unplug) but that may be in violation of the video streaming licence agreement.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...nloadhelper/?s

I use dwhelper to get some videos saved.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Linux Newbie
    On Debian, with Iceweasel, non-proprietary videos are cached as a single file in /tmp... until the web page is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by fanderal View Post
    On Debian, with Iceweasel, non-proprietary videos are cached as a single file in /tmp... until the web page is closed.
    That used to be the case for youtube videos but many months ago, I think youtube did something that all videos I play doesn't show up anymore at the /tmp folder
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    That used to be the case for youtube videos but many months ago, I think youtube did something that all videos I play doesn't show up anymore at the /tmp folder
    You're right; I forgot it changed. Youtube may have had a hand in it but I wonder if Adobe did that in a bid for legitimacy to content providers.