Find the answer to your Linux question:
I finally have enough saved up to buy a new laptop and I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for Linux distro. I've been using a slightly older version ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Recommendations for Linux distro?

I finally have enough saved up to buy a new laptop and I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for Linux distro. I've been using a slightly older version of Ubuntu (the updates didn't seem to agree with my laptop but that's a story for another day). The main things I'd like to do:

-Some programming. I have an idea for an iPhone/iPad/Android app or maybe a series of apps.

-Windows or Mac emulator for the programs I can't yet install with Linux.

-Routine Internet stuff and my online work.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by SquidooGeek; 01-02-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Adding some details,

Ubuntu is fine. Try the latest release, if it doesn't suit your needs or you just don't like it, try the next one. Once you get any distro installed it's fairly easy to add the programs you want or remove the ones you don't want.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Welcome to the forum. If you are comfortable with Ubuntu, there is no need to change, unless you just want to try something different. I prefer the 10.04 version to the current 11.10, because it uses gnome 2 instead of 3, and it is long term support, but that's just me.
    Registered Linux user #526930

I agree with the suggestion to us Ubuntu.
    Mint has a few things to offer, as well. You can get a more up-to-date kernel and software versions, if you choose to do so. And the tweaks and extensions that the Mint team has implemented make Gnome 3 look far more usable.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

If you like Ubuntu, you could try some derivatives of it. Commodore OS Vision, is a fully featured Distro based of 10.11 & Mint 10, with a lot of programs that are actually non-free software. It is a perpetual beta so don't expect a final release.