Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
...what strength glasses do you use?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

If you're over forty...

...what strength glasses do you use?
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 01-03-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

oz
    forum.guy
    If you're over forty...
    Good question, Dan... I know one guy that is only 31 and he has to use reading glasses, especially when tired, or during the night. Don't know the strength, but I'm thinking he told me 1.75 is what he wears.

Could people's eyes be deteriorating sooner these days perhaps?
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Could people's eyes be deteriorating sooner these days perhaps?
    I never needed glasses until I turned forty. That seems to be the median age when folks who never needed them start holding their reading material farther away! I'm afraid mine are getting worse. Right now I use 1:25 but have been eying 1:50s.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    No glasses for reading but have glasses for distance viewing. I think I need to get my eyes tested again
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

I need glasses for distance viewing too since college, started low at 0.25/075 now I am at 0.75/1.25. But for reading I am fine so far. Oddlly enough all my siblings need reading glasses, but not for distance.

Since plastic cornea implant after 2 cataract surgeries (first one was botched, almost went blind).

1.25 for reading. See far off OK though. No glasses needed yet for driving (passed eye test this last time, required for every licence renewal) .
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Mostly none. Sometimes I use a 1.75 set of reading glasses when there isn't enough light. I started seeing the effects of senile presbyopia around 40, and used reading glasses, then bifocals, then trifocals, then found SmartSegs, which aren't sold any longer. A few years ago I found that I didn't need glasses as badly as I once did, and now I can pass a Class II flight physical with no restrictions. I still have 20/20 far vision. For a time I had to possess lenses for near vision correction, but by squinting I can get by now. Reading in low light is still difficult, but possible. I'm about to go register for Medicare.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Since plastic cornea implant after 2 cataract surgeries (first one was botched, almost went blind)
    geez, that's sounds kinda scary.

i don't wear glasses, and I just recently saw 40 in the RVM, but I have been getting migraines and eye-discomfort lately. I'm beginning to wonder if it's related.

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Since plastic cornea implant after 2 cataract surgeries (first one was botched, almost went blind).
    That is frightening roky. I'm glad everything turned out all right! Seeing far off is no problem for me either. I drive without them but need them for anything within arm's length.

For me, it happened so gradually I didn't realise what was going on. By my mid forties, I no longer read books or magazines and it didn't even occur to me why I stopped. One day a friend asked if I'd help him set up his new computer. Looking over the fuzzy info from his ISP, (at arms length) I asked him to read it for me. He produced a pair of reading glasses and said, "Here, try these." When I put them on it was like being born again! I could actually see the words! Now, with the aid of reading glasses, I'm back to reading like I used to. As time goes on, I find I depend on them more and more. I have several pair placed in strategic locations around my home and business.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if it's related.
    atreyu, next time you're at the drug store, try some 1.25s and see if it makes a difference.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast