Find the answer to your Linux question:
Over 40,000 laws went into affect on Jan.1 throughout the states. But this one from Illinois is just crazy!!!! Motorcyclists stopped at a red light may proceed through if it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Crazy Law

Over 40,000 laws went into affect on Jan.1 throughout the states. But this one from Illinois is just crazy!!!!

Motorcyclists stopped at a red light may proceed through if it fails to change to green after a reasonable length of time.
    Who determines a reasonable length of time?
    I can see the splatter rates rising in Illinois.

To read the highlights of other laws by state just follow the link;

40,000 new laws to go into effect in 2012 - US news - Life - msnbc.com

Because the automatic traffic sensors fail to detect the vehicle's
    presence and fail to go green. I guess if you have waited an hour
    or so...

Being a biker. I know for a fact some intersection sensors for changing a light are just set for automobiles and I have sat for 15 or more minutes waiting for a light to change. Especially left turn arrow lanes.

Usually I say to heck with it and run the light myself. I and other riders don't have a suicide wish so I double check for traffic (especially for cops) before I proceed to run the light. Think of it as a stop sign Taz. Splatter rates (at least in my experience) comes from the cagers running the red light or stop sign when I have the right of way. Not the other way around.

Texas will ticket ya still. Gotta be flexible.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    When I was a biker (back in my misspent youth) the rule was (and still is) that you are invisible to all drivers, except cops! As noted, some signaled intersections are on-demand triggered, and won't change unless there is a sensed vehicle waiting - no active timer. Since motorcycles are often too small to trigger the sensors, one can sit there forever waiting for the light to change... My opinion is that this law, in some sense, is logical. However, caveat biker!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

While I have sat at light for what seemed like forever because my bike was not recognized, I would question why they don't program/replace the sensors so that they do notice bikes? This would be the best solution but I guess cash is the main issue here.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

I would question why they don't program/replace the sensors so that they do notice bikes? This would be the best solution but I guess cash is the main issue here.
    Most of those detectors are connected to a loop detector / amplifier.
    The detect signal can be boosted by a turn of a knob.
    Takes about 30 seconds.
    Guess they just don't have the time to adjust them.

I also want to add a comment to this law.
    What is a reasonable length of time?
    I don't know about you, but my idea of a reasonable length of time varies depending if I'm running late!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    My feeling about driving in traffic is that if no one is coming, then why wait? Oops - what is that cop doing there?

FWIW, my last collision with another automobile was in 1969 on the Pacific Coast Highway south of Malibu when I was distracted by a passenger in my car, and I rear-ended a bathtub Porsche at a traffic light. I don't think my insurance company was pleased, but at least the damage was only "cosmetic". Since then, I have driven almost 1M miles and have run into a deer, a dog, and a cow, but no other cars or people! As for the cow, it was in 1977 on a blacktop highway (route 66) in Nevada at night, with no moon, and the cow was black... By the time I saw it, it was "Oh Sh!t" time. Parked the van (66 Dodge), hitched into Tonopah, Nevada the next morning, had the van towed into town, rented a U-Haul truck to tow the van and our stuff, and drove it back to Illinois. Sold the van for parts (I owned an auto repair garage at the time) and bought a 1976 GMC van for my wife, which she happily drove until it rusted apart in the early 90's. She still wants me to get her a van! Seems that they can handle her double-bass better than the Toyota.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!