Find the answer to your Linux question:
About a week ago I got sound working in Slackbody. Today I actually got a midi file to play. I don't have a sound card, just an on-board chip, so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I have midi!

About a week ago I got sound working in Slackbody. Today I actually got a midi file to play. I don't have a sound card, just an on-board chip, so of course no hardware synthesiser. And I don't understand sound at all so I had to do a lot of googling. What a useful thing Google is!

I'm interested in midi because I write music and I understand there are programs for interconverting notation and midi sound.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you tried playing with Audacity yet Hazel? Also, what genre of music are you into? Myself I like all kinds from classical to jazz to traditional to bluegrass to rock-and-roll. I find hip-hop and rap kind of boring though. My sister is a classical musician - she was the principal violist for the Royal Philharmonic in London for about 20 years. My wife is a serious American traditional/old-time guitarist (semi-professional), and I used to play jazz violin, but have been playing bluegrass mandolin for the past 4-5 years.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Also, what genre of music are you into?
    For listening to, strictly classical. But I play cello as an accompanist to a local gospel choir and I often need to write out parts for myself. Also I have written a number of Christian songs myself, some of which we play.

I use Philip's Music Writer to produce the sheet music and I'm trying to write a graphical interface for it. Adding a midi output might be useful; it's easier to proofread music by sound than by sight.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    For listening to, strictly classical. But I play cello as an accompanist to a local gospel choir and I often need to write out parts for myself. Also I have written a number of Christian songs myself, some of which we play.

I use Philip's Music Writer to produce the sheet music and I'm trying to write a graphical interface for it. Adding a midi output might be useful; it's easier to proofread music by sound than by sight.
    I love the cello! If I were young again, I think I'd select the cello instead of violin to learn. My all-time favorite cellist was Jaqueline du Pre. Her rendition of Elgar's cello concerto is a masterwork, IMO. My sister knew her well, and performed with her a few times over their careers. To her (my sister) Du Pre and Barenboim will always be Jackie and Danny...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!