Find the answer to your Linux question:
A teenage girl on Staten Island committed suicide by jumping in front of a moving bus. she had a suicide note in her pocket explaining that " bullying " in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cyberbullies!

A teenage girl on Staten Island committed suicide by jumping in front of a moving bus. she had a suicide note in her pocket explaining that " bullying " in her high school and on Facebook made her do it. Since her death ' bullying and taunting on facebook has been a daily topic here. I guess I'm just too old to understand today's youth and what they have to deal with.

Nameless tormentors lurk in cyber-shadows | SILive.com!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Sadly times have changed and peer pressure is often what compels kids to be on these sites.

A lot of that sort of thing goes on over here too. As well as Facebook and Twitter, there are nasty text messages that these poor kids get on their mobiles. Bullying used to be something that happened at school; now it's 24/7. It's hard to see how to stop it. Every time there is a case like this, the school says it has an anti-bullying policy in place.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    When I went to elementary school in the 1950's very few children ever did anything wrong or hostile because if you did the school principle had the power to transfer you to a " Disciplinary School " where no one with any sense wanted to go!! It's just pitiful that a young girl would kill herself for any reason!!
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

Bullying is not new, it has just incorporated the Internet and social media. Unfortunately, youth seem to be especially susceptible to all forms of bullying, and while school officials claim to support anti-bullying policies, far too many just ignore the problem. What may be "not that bad" or "just part of growing up" to an adult may seem devastating to a teen.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Bullying may not be new but I have not been exposed to kids killing themselves over it.
    Linux user # 414321

Bullying has simply gotten worse in schools. The old argument that "it's nothing new" is often used by wider society as an excuse to do nothing about the problem. An important part of the overall solution is to give teachers more power to deal with it - i.e. head teachers need to have the power to permanently kick out unruly children who disrupt classes. A clear message needs to go out that if you **** about in school, you will be out the door and on the scrap heap - this is the only way to get parents to sit up and take notice and responsibility for their child's actions. There is too much emphasis on catering for the bullies' needs and welfare rather than that of the other children whose education, and quite possibly entire lives, are being ruined by this.

Statistics and government targets just don't help. School inspectors, don't help. This does not create quality schools who take a pride in what they do, instead it nurtures a targets and bureaucracy obsessed education system. Who only seek to satisfy criteria to gain government funding and higher league table ranking.

It's the school situation which simply continues across these social networks once the children leave school at the end of the day. The reality is that children should not even be registered on these sites and it is once again the parent's responsibility to ensure that they are not. The message needs to be gotten through that the internet is not a safe place - these "social" networks, the modern equivalent of the "chat rooms" of the early 00's, are certainly not safe for kids.