Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just a heads up for Mandriva users... It appears that Mandriva may soon file bankruptcy according to this PCWorld article: Mandriva Linux Maker Could Face Bankruptcy in 10 Days | ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Problems for Mandriva?

Just a heads up for Mandriva users...

It appears that Mandriva may soon file bankruptcy according to this PCWorld article:

Mandriva Linux Maker Could Face Bankruptcy in 10 Days | PCWorld Business Center
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    It appears that any decision by Mandriva to declare bankruptcy has been delayed:

Linux Today - Mandriva bankruptcy decision delayed
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, it would be sad to lose Mandriva. They have been a solid contributor to the community for a long time. It would diminish us all if they have to shut down. Hopefully they will be bought out by a sympathetic entity - we will see soon enough I expect (fingers crossed).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Trusted Penguin
    If I remember correctly, one of my very first forays into Linux was Mandrake, due mainly to their inclusion of the Enlightenment WM. It would be sad to see them bite the dust.

oz
    forum.guy
    There was a period of time that Mandrake held the number one position on the "Hits Per Day" chart at DistroWatch, but that was long ago. I used Mandrake for a few months back when I first started running Linux, but haven't used it since then, and have never tried it since they changed the name to Mandriva. Still, I'd hate to see them go down, especially since it was such a popular distro at one time. If they do stay afloat, maybe they'll some day rise again on the charts to be what they once were.

Good luck to Mandriva and its developers!
    oz

Isn't this like the third or fourth year running that they've had financial troubles? It doesn't surprise me, I think there's only room for two profitable Linux distros (right now it looks like Red Hat and soon Canonical). I've never used Mandrake but from my understanding they've failed to keep with the times with Ubuntu moving in to fill the niche of "make it work easily, I don't care how" which is how a lot of for profit software companies have to work
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    I've never used Mandrake but from my understanding they've failed to keep with the times with Ubuntu moving in to fill the niche of "make it work easily, I don't care how" which is how a lot of for profit software companies have to work
    I would not say that. I started using mandriva (mandrake back then) because its "easy to use" reputation, way back before Ubuntu even existed. I am still using it now and still is very easy to use, and worked great on several computers where (dont know why) ubuntu didnt even install. I guess it was mostly a marketing problem, Ubuntu become very visible and for many of the last "generation" of linux users, linux=ubuntu, the free cd give-away was also a great strategy.

So for now updates are still comming from mandriva, lets see what happens