Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
atreyu ... dude! Great explanation! For that one, you get...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

atreyu... dude!
    Great explanation!
    For that one, you get
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Trusted Penguin
    Thanks!

dancing bananas...i don't know that there is any cooler gif in the world. except maybe that one of the computer screen punching out the n00b...

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    except maybe that one of the computer screen punching out the n00b...
    LOL!
    @mayor89
    Don't let this happen to you!
    Last edited by jayd512; 01-14-2012 at 05:30 AM.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Think of the car world; you have Fords, Vauxhalls, BMW, Mercedes and so on. They are all cars but they are all subtly (and some not so subtly) different in their implementation. Then you have your different models; with Ford, you have Fiesta, Focus, GT and so on. Each car comes with it's own paint job but there is nothing to stop you respraying it to suit you. Or you could buy a car with a custom spray job.

In the Linux world, you have the distribution which would be kind of like a Ford Fiesta or a BMW M3. You can have more than one, but you can only drive one at a time*. So you might install Ubuntu which comes with the Unity desktop which in this metaphor is the paint job. You can respray it by installing the XFCE desktop or you can get the custom one by downloading Xubuntu.

I've realised I'm rambling so I'm going to drop out of the metaphor and as a result gain some clarity:

A Linux distribution is an operating system complete with a default user interface and a default set of software.

A desktop environment is the user interface. Unlike the Windows world you can have many installed and easily swap between them.

* I'm ignoring virtual machines here
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I have a tip for you:
    Linux is everything you expect and everything you don't!! :P

Just Joined!
    you told about some tasks.could you explain them in detail how to do them.plzz.

Quote Originally Posted by velmurugan1993 View Post
    you told about some tasks.could you explain them in detail how to do them.plzz.
    Hello and Welcome!

At the risk of this thread being hijacked, what tasks are you asking about?
    If you have specific questions about Linux, it might benefit you most to start a new thread.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    ok! thanks for all your help ! sorry i havnt been here in a while ! rreally appreciate all the advice.. can someone suggest a distro for me and theme etc .. just telll me your favorite and give me n00b idiot guide on how to install it ! where to get it from im using fedora 16 ubuntu now.. my main uses are using the internet streaming fiims all the usual stuff...

would be so greatfull bear in mind im no computer expert i even struggled to work out how to reply to the thread lol

Actually, Fedora and Ubuntu are great distros. Both of them.
    Not only as good starting points for a Linux newb, but for experienced users, as well.
    I'd suggest sticking with those for a little while. You'll have a friendly environment to use until you get the hang of things.
    Then, take a whack at something a little more "complicated", like Debian, Slackware, CRUX, Arch or Gentoo.
    Over all, try things out until you find something you like.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Think of the car world; you have Fords, Vauxhalls, BMW, Mercedes and so on. They are all cars but they are all subtly (and some not so subtly) different in their implementation. Then you have your different models; with Ford, you have Fiesta, Focus, GT and so on. Each car comes with it's own paint job but there is nothing to stop you respraying it to suit you. Or you could buy a car with a custom spray job.

In the Linux world, you have the distribution which would be kind of like a Ford Fiesta or a BMW M3. You can have more than one, but you can only drive one at a time*. So you might install Ubuntu which comes with the Unity desktop which in this metaphor is the paint job. You can respray it by installing the XFCE desktop or you can get the custom one by downloading Xubuntu.

I've realised I'm rambling so I'm going to drop out of the metaphor and as a result gain some clarity:

A Linux distribution is an operating system complete with a default user interface and a default set of software.

A desktop environment is the user interface. Unlike the Windows world you can have many installed and easily swap between them.

* I'm ignoring virtual machines here
    Your rambling was so interesting though elija, who wouldn't want to read a thesis on car metaphors to do with Operating systems! :S hehehe

Poor Virtual Machines being left out!
    I'll explain it using elija example. A virtual machine is like playing Forza 4 (or any racing game for that matter) on your Xbox360 hehehehe :P Where you get any car/s you want and can mess around with them to pretty much their limitations and the machines obviously; without causing any harm to the real world car or environment. Lucky cause you would want to crash a Bugatti Veyron into a brick wall while trying to break the land speed record without first having some driver experience, not unless your a multi-million air.

In computer terms this means you can install as many operating systems as you have space for in a "virtual machine" and run that OS as if it was physically installed on the computer without affecting any pre-installed os or damaging anything beyond the virtual machines limitations. It like a box in a box!
    elija likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast