Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, My wife is highly allergic to whatever material is used in earbuds, we've tried three pairs, all of them cause her to react and it's not pleasant. I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

HypoAllergetic Earbuds??

Hi All,

My wife is highly allergic to whatever material is used in earbuds, we've tried three pairs, all of them cause her to react and it's not pleasant. I'm looking for recommendations as we both use headphones a lot. To make matters worse she's picky (ie no headphones, she thinks they are too big and gaudy, despite my objections that they sound so much better) and her ears are small (we already had to do a ton of research finding earbuds that are smaller than the norm, finally we settled on SkullCandy but she reacted poorly to them and ended up having itchy ears for a week). Lastly, she has a mp3 player that supports noise canceling so that'd be a nice feature & of course, good quaility at reasonable price (I hate paying a ton for earbuds) is a plus. Any advice?
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Finding these is hard, but a Google for 'hypoallergenic earbud cushions' might help. I turned these up:

Sennheiser - Earbud Headphones - Gold/Red - CX485

they're supposed to be hypoallergenic.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Thanks you made more progress than I did. $70 is a bit steep for earbuds but I might go ahead and get them. Thanks again

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    Thanks you made more progress than I did. $70 is a bit steep for earbuds but I might go ahead and get them. Thanks again
    It might just be your spelling of 'hypoallergenic'. I found those in a moment or two, a bit more searching might find some others.

oz
    forum.guy
    Check around... because I think you can get those same earbuds at Amazon (and maybe other places) for around $35.

Edit: also, just in case it is important, I'm pretty sure that it's the silicone ear adapters used with the buds that are hypoallergenic, and not the buds themselves.
    Last edited by oz; 01-14-2012 at 12:06 AM.
    oz

Thanks to both of you, looking into it now. Wish she'd just use a nice set of headphones, I found a steal on amazon $20 for a $70 pair that got great reviews....oh well, ha

Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    I found a steal on amazon $20 for a $70 pair that got great reviews....oh well, ha
    Sounds like a good deal. Unless they're no better for her, in which case you've wasted $20...

I had another thought. My brother used to use ear buds when riding his motorcycle, these were a foam material rather than silicon/plastic flange type. Perhaps they'd not create the same allergic reaction? I found this while I was looking around