Find the answer to your Linux question:
today I learned that these forums have a policy of censorship. at first I thought this was okay but after thinking about it I felt like it contradicts a lot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

censored

today I learned that these forums have a policy of censorship. at first I thought this was okay but after thinking about it I felt like it contradicts a lot of what my perception of the oss community's beliefs are. I will respect the rule but felt like the coffee lounge was a fair place for me to voice my concern.

much respect to everyone
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Hi, jmadero.

The Coffee Lounge, and this Forum in general, are open to a great many discussions. About almost any topic you can think of.
    There are, however, some topics that are not allowed... for good reason.
    Many topics of discussion, no matter how well intentioned, will eventually and inevitably degrade into an argument.
    Not what our friendly little community needs.
    Hence, the very laid-back set of Forum Rules that we all strive to abide by.

If there is anything in particular that you feel might need a change, feel free to either use the Contact Us link, post your suggestions in the Feedback section or PM one of the TPs or Mods.
    Last edited by jayd512; 01-14-2012 at 03:51 AM. Reason: spelling
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

jmadero, first of all, this is all my opinion only and not the Website/Forums/admin team.
    You are a valued member here and I appreciate you respecting the forum rules. I like you, personally. You've been great to have around and we have never had any complaints towards you, at all.
    The rules that we have in place are mostly rules that were handing down to us from previous Mods/TP's and the previous site owner. Those rules have worked well for a number of years now (predates me) and I think we have a pretty good community here without the need for political threads.The rules are in place because as Jay mentioned, political threads can degenerate into a moderator nightmare in the blink of an eye, which means moderation would have to be extremely swift to prevent things from getting out of hand.
    I for one, would absolutely hate to enact a ban a long standing member because he voiced his opinion or got into a name calling contest with other members.
    As volunteers, (the whole admin team) of our own free time here on these forums, It's just too much trouble for us to deal with. I think we are mostly of the opinion that if you want to discuss politics or other forbidden items....there is a probably a place for it, just not here.
    I hope you can understand our position and continue to be a great member here.
    Thanks for understanding.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 01-14-2012 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Spelling
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I agree with Mike's view on your involvement here - your contribution here is not small and we appreciate it very much.

Political threads have two big consequences on this forum, firstly they always end up in a big fight - one that's really difficult for our small moderator team to keep track of. And also discussions of US politics excludes a chunk of our membership - not everyone here is based in the USA.

It's not censorship, it's just the experience learned from the school of hard knocks. It would be censorship if we allowed some political discussion and disallowed others, we'd then end up being accused of supporting one side or another (and then we'd really be struggling to find a balance).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

I think it's interesting to compare this forum with some others. I used to be an intermittent member of the Debian Forums, where you get a lot of very knowledgeable posts. I posted very little there because they all knew more than I did! But their moderation policy used to be very different from ours. They traditionally let people rip and consequently there were a lot of flames.

Some people there explained to me that free speech went with free software and that if you didn't like the heat, you should get out of the kitchen. I could see their point but I still didn't much like the atmosphere.

Eventually some new moderators tried to change the policy and there was a virtual civil war, ending in a lot of the most knowledgeable people going off and founding their own forum. I wouldn't like the same thing to happen here.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I appreciate all the input and honestly, I just needed to voice my opinion. I do disagree with the policy but that's life, we'll have disagreements and we can do so respectfully. I am going to continue contributing as much as I can here in the forums and will steer clear of politics, even if I think that the policy goes against some of the philosophy of OSS (at least that's my opinion). I guess in my mind I wish that we were all respectful enough to have civilized conversations about anything, that being said, I know this is an ideal and not reality. I really only wanted a poll (didn't even want comments) because as someone with degrees in math based areas, I was truly just interested in the statistics of where we lean. I have an assumption that the community leans more towards one candidate than the others and was just trying to test it.

This being said the thread can be closed and again, thanks for the years of help and allowing us all to help each other.
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    By co-incidence I raised this question in the mod forum and the consensus was that politics tends to be a bit too emotive and that this is a technical forum anyway.

Anyway, closed as requested.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent