Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
We have some Feist fans here? The Riftwar Saga is just awesome! What do you guys think about Terry Brooks? Anybody reading the Wheel of Time saga?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

We have some Feist fans here? The Riftwar Saga is just awesome!
    What do you guys think about Terry Brooks?

Anybody reading the Wheel of Time saga?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I've read and enjoyed the first three Landover and a couple of Shanara books
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Anybody reading the Wheel of Time saga?
    Yes, I am. It's a vast compendium, isn't it. Jordan is dead now but apparently he did complete the final chapters (The Memory of Light) and someone else has filled in the two previous volumes.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Been an avid reader of Brooks for many years. Haven't read much in the past few, however, so I guess I'll have to make a trip to the library!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I read Raymond E. Feist many years ago, but stopped I think around Tier of the Gods? I started getting a bit bored of it after the first three series.

Wheel of Time had an excellent beginning (first four books or so), but I definitely started losing interest after that. Nothing seemed to happen except for lots of braid-pulling and "mooncalf"-calling. A friend of mine told me that the last two or three were a lot better, but I'm unwilling to read up to that point.

I've recently been reading The Complete Sherlock Holmes collection, which has been quite enjoyable. A series that I feel doesn't often get attention is Stephen King's The Dark Tower, which is a very good fantasy series that ties together lots of different worlds.

And, just to add another point to it, of course I enjoy LotR. I reread it last year, and it's just as good as I remembered.

Good start to the question of the week (series??). I already have another question in mind but will give people one more day to respond to this one. Thanks for all the recommendations, I have put most of them on my "to read list". Also wanted to share this with everyone in case people want to follow my reading endeavors --

March to a Million Pages
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    I enjoyed most all the books pertaining to Middle Earth and Arda, I'm a big Tolkien fan myself.

But most of the stories I like are myths, legends, and folklore that belong to oral tradition rather then any specific book. From all cultures and backgrounds as well, not just my own western heritage.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    The Winter of the World by Michael Scott Rohan is also a very good read
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Some lesser known books from the fantasy genre...
    The Dragon Prince and Dragon Star trilogies by Melanie Rawn were superb.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Trusted Penguin
    Man, I'm stoked about the number of LOTR nods here. I won't waste any more bandwidth on it...suffice it to say if you liked LOTR/Hobbit, check out The Silmarillion and his Lost Tales stuff (well, Lost Tales is probably for the hard-core freaks - there's lots of "ere" and "lo" in there).

I also hugely dug the Shannara books. I devoured the first three when I first discovered them in high school. Allanon was like Gandalf plus Obi Wan Kenobi, with a little bit of the Emperor rolled in. I drifted off after trying to read the later ones.

Yeah, the Bible's got some good stuff in there. I particularly like that Jesus chap.

I'm currently reading the Game of Thrones books from George R. R. Martin (on book 2 right now). They are quite, quite good, I must say. I was surprised, I didn't think they'd hold me (no monsters? no magic!? spare me...). But the character development is just too damn good. I definitely recommend them - start w/the first one. I haven't watched the show, btw (don't have HBO or whatever it's on), but I hear Boromir is in it, so it must be good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast