0 0%
  • No

13 86.67%
  • Maybe

2 13.33%
  • Not Sure/No Opinion

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Wanted to know if anyone agrees that minimizing is a thing of the past. Gnome devs have claimed that it's outdated and therefore they will never include it again....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is Minimizing a Thing of the Past

Wanted to know if anyone agrees that minimizing is a thing of the past. Gnome devs have claimed that it's outdated and therefore they will never include it again.
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    The Gnome devs are wrong. You've only got to compare MATE and Gnome 3 to see how wrong.
    Last edited by elija; 01-20-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: typo
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    No, I don't personally think minimizing is outdated and thus far I've not been fond of the related changes in Gnome 3.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I minimize stuff on my desktop all the time, especially when I need the real estate for some other applications, I don't want the one I am going to minimize to distract me by making me think about what it represents when I should be concentrating on the new apps, and I don't want to lose the context already established in the minimized program. Sure, modern GUIs provide multiple desktops, but I find I don't use those so much.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I reckon I dont minimize windows that much anymore, just switch to another virtual desktop. I usually work with 4, the first two for email and browser and the rest is for misc. applications that I use on and off.

I love virtual desktops, it is maybe the first thing I miss when I switch back to windows

No!!! I typically have 6 to 8 items on my desktop, with only one at full size, the rest minimized. Depending on what I am working on, I may also have a 2nd or 3rd desktop that also have several items open, each desktop representing my general use desktop 1 (games, LFI, email), research and data for a special project desk 2 (sermons, spreadsheets, etc) , and anything else I have going on at the moment on desk 3 (other searches mainly).
    Registered Linux user #526930

I think the minimize function is highly underrated and I will always use it. I'm with Rubberman on this one, multiple desktops are fine and all but I don't use them, leave my dang minimize buttons alone!
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

On my little netbook, every application is maximizes, so I can only see one at one, and I generally alt-tab between them. But when I'm using a proper size monitor minimizing stuff gets it out of the way, I use it all the time.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Personally, I use minimize and virtual desktops.
    It's a useful feature. And as such, needs to be left alone.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, from what all of us are saying, there is room for both approaches, separately and together. What works for you, I like to say! What does crumble my cookies however, are developers who assume they know what is best for me when they do a new version of software that has been a major part of our daily lives for a long time, and then change the entire paradigm! Apple forgot that with the new version of Final Cut Pro, and has lost a LOT of their customers as a result. There are those who think Apple is going in the right direction, but are not happy that Apple seemed to have forgotten all of those customers who made this product the standard of the professional video editing universe.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast