Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I'm new here in this post and also new in Linux's world. Since 2010 I use Ubuntu but some problem made me think about switching to Fedora. How can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I want to switch from ubuntu to fedora! How?

Hi,
    I'm new here in this post and also new in Linux's world. Since 2010 I use Ubuntu but some problem made me think about switching to Fedora. How can I do that without getting crazy?
    Thank you for your help and Happy New Year
    Mauricio

Hello and Welcome!

First, if you have anything important that you want to keep, make a back-up of that data.
    Now, if you have Ubuntu installed to it's own partitions, you have two simple options.
    1. Install Fedora over Ubuntu. Start fresh with it, then restore your backed-up data.
    2. Install Fedora, using the same /home partition. That should preserve most of your personal data.

Hope that helps.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Or you might want to install it beside each other as a double boot.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!
    Hi, Thank you very much for your answers. In a matter of fact I let my linux always up to date but I'm not glad with the new Ubuntu's desktop. I think Gnome is very good and I want to keep with it. Talk about performance I think Fedora and Ubuntu are the same, don't they?
    I had read some texts about Fedora and I'm afraid of having problem with my ATI mobility Radeos HD 5470 since as I know, ATI drivers don't work good with the new Fedora 16.
    Of course I don't want to install Fedora to go back to Ubuntu where my non-free-drivers go fine.
    I make my researchs to be certain that Fedora is better than Ubuntu to kill my 3 Years Ubuntu and raise a new brand Fedora's installation.
    If you have tips to give me, it'll be good.
    I have a ASUS X72J series, ATI mobility RADEON HD 5470 1 GB, Intel core i3-350M, RAM 4 Gb.
    Thank you very much and one more question: How can I install Fedora using the same /home partition? as I use Ubuntu but I'm not real good with informatic things

Quote Originally Posted by mbfortuna View Post
    How can I install Fedora using the same /home partition?
    When performing the install, Fedora should ask you where on your hard drive you want to put everything.
    If I recall correctly, you'll be asked if you want to import your Ubuntu account and /home partition.
    If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will chime in to tell me.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    When performing the install, Fedora should ask you where on your hard drive you want to put everything.
    If I recall correctly, you'll be asked if you want to import your Ubuntu account and /home partition.
    If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will chime in to tell me.

Thank you Jay,
    I'll wait one moment to see if someone says another thing about what you have wrote. Another question: do you know if I can configure my ATI Radeon HD 5470 on Fedora 16?
    Cheers,
    Mauricio

Are you installing a 32-bit version of Fedora? Or 64-bit?
    for 32:
    Code:
    yum install xorg-x11-drv-catalyst.x86
    for 64:
    Code:
    yum install xorg-x11-drv-catalyst.x86_64
    Should do it.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Super. Thank you very much Jay. I intend to install Fedora 16 very soon and I hope i'll be so glad as I was with Ubuntu!
    Thank you once more!

Just Joined!

Smile

Hi,
    I installed Fedora 16 but not in my principal computer. The problem I have now ist that myAtheros Wifi can't connect. First NO WIFI than, after some manipulations while searching in the Web, wifi ON but can't connect and I don't know Why. Some Tips? Thank you
    I'm not confortable with Fedore yet but I think it'll come. It's a little bit hard to forget Ubuntu's sequences and learn new one's but I'm satisfied (when my wifi works... better...LOL)
    Mauricio

You would probably want to start a new thread in the Wireless Section for greater visibility.
    For that issue, take a look here: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html

Post all requested information.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast