Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi everyone, I've been in IT industry for almost 10 years now. Most of this time has been spent around Windows world. However I've always liked LInux side of things ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to prepare for RedHat certification

hi everyone, I've been in IT industry for almost 10 years now. Most of this time has been spent around Windows world. However I've always liked LInux side of things but never had a chance to work in a place which used Linux. However at my current job Linux is the dominant force so I'm in good position to finally learn Linux in a commercial world. I've been using Linux (mainly OpenSuse) at home for a while now so I know the basics and my way around Linux somewhat.
    What I would like to know is what would be the best way of preparing for Redhat certification? I can install any Linux distro (as long as its free) of my choice at work desktop. At home I've got laptop and desktop so I can do the networking at home. Shall I go for Fedora, CentOS or ScientificLinux?
    Also I guess at this stage I would be aiming for Sys admin cert?
    Any good reading/training material you could recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by blueagle78 View Post
    Any good reading/training material you could recommend?
    You can enrol in Red hat training course taught by Red hat or a Red hat certified training partner, and you will be getting the official training materials from them. Else you can make use of the online training programs.
    redhat.com | FAQ
    This official link of redhat gives the faq's of the certification!

Thanks Pradeep. I'm going to register for a Redhat training course soon. I want to install Redhat based linux on my workstation, home PC and laptop. I'm torn between CentOS, Scientific Linux and Fedora!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I don't recommend Fedora for your purpose. The certification process aims at the current Red Hat version.... Fedora is more bleedin' edge than that. Choose between CentOS or Scientific. Both are good alternatives, and you can't really go wrong with either.

In short, if you want to go for your RHCE then you must also go for RHCSA. Here are two links with the exam objectives:

redhat.com | RHCSA Exam Objectives
    redhat.com | RHCE Exam Objectives

Note that the examination is not a written test. You will have to demonstrate the required skills in practice. This means you'll be spending MUCH more study time actually working on servers and workstations (physical or virtual) than reading dry materials.

Best advice I can give you, build build build. Build a DNS server, build a DHCP*) server, build LDAP authentication into your home network. Make sure you have a running (S)FTP server that's accessible from outside. SSH(D) goes without saying, it's probably the most important tool of the trade. Don't run it on port 22 or keep a close eye on `lastb`

And remember, Rome wasn't build in a day. Take small steps, and be prepared to start over for a thousand times if need be.

*) But don't install a DHCP server on your work machine, as this will make the IT department very unhappy when they encounter infrequent and unexplainable network problems... hihi
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    ^^ What he said ^^

If you are working in the environment then you are getting good preparation anyway but it won't hurt to back it up by practice and training.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Trusted Penguin
    Also don't forget LVM. muy importante.

basic sendmail configuration should also be noted.

SELinux and the firewall, too, now that I think about it.

oh yeah, iscsi would be a good thing to study.

and make sure you are familiar with yum.

and if you get stuck, don't forget to man.

good luck!

Thanks a lot guys for providing me the priceless information. Its really appreciated. I've decided to install CentOS as a server and Scientific Linux as my workstation and on my laptop.

Just Joined!
    Hi all and I apologize if this comes off as a thread hijack,

I looking to become RHCSA/RHCE certified and pretty much in same boat as original poster however I am in no position to enroll in any training course, so I'm looking for the dry self-study route.

I am currently unemployed, have a background in Desktop Support, I have AA in Information Systems, A+ & Net+, and currently pursuing BS in Systems and Network Administration.

I play around with many different technologies almost everyday to keep myself up to date with some of the latest technologies/concepts.

I am looking to become RHCSA/RHCE certified and need to know what all of you are using or have used to become certified. I have an old HP Probook 4710s that I plan to install Scientific x64 to use for most if not all of the training/labs. I also have 2 older Dell GX260 desktops that I can use as well if need be.

I really like Linux and would love to add a cert underneath my belt as some day I want to administer/support an "almost all" Linux environment which I think would be awesome. This idea came about when I volunteered at an group home that had really old outdated equipment and absolutely no budget to replace/upgrade, so Linux was 1st thing that came to mind. Just lacked the know how at the time so nothing was implemented/proposed. NOTE: This was over 3 years ago.

The book/study material that I'm looking at right now to assist me is 978-0071801607 :
    RHCSA/RHCE Red Hat Linux Certification Practice Exams with Virtual Machines (Exams EX200 & EX300) by Micheal Jang

Does anyone have any experience/advice about this book and or any other great sources. My funds are limited and I am not able to buy a high end PC/server or any of the Microsoft study materials at this point in time.

Thanks,
    Jwalk33

Been awhile but the Red Cert was a very hands on test, may of changed since then but I thought it was a good test. The RedHat course was a good prep, but the more hands on experince especially troubleshoot experince the better off you'll be.