Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Here's an interesting article regarding more upcoming changes for Unity that some of you might want to check out: Mark Shuttleworth Blog Archive Introducing the HUD. Say hello ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

HUD: Head-Up Display (changes for Unity)

Here's an interesting article regarding more upcoming changes for Unity that some of you might want to check out:

Mark Shuttleworth Blog Archive Introducing the HUD. Say hello to the future of the menu.

I'd probably have to actually try it before forming an opinion one way or the other.
    oz

I agree. I don't want to judge something just based on the promo. It sounds both interesting, and annoying, but as long as they leave you an option of using the old menu's or the new HUD, I can try it and use the best aspects of both.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Is unity heading towards lcars?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

oz
    forum.guy
    Certain big changes to desktop environments and the way they work seem to be frustrating lots of Linux users over the last few years, so maybe they'll ease into this and continue to give users options rather than forcing things on them. Otherwise, controversy and more defections to other desktop environments (or distributions) may follow. Seeing as how I'm not a regular user of Ubuntu, or Unity, it might be a very long time before I get to see HUD in action.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Is unity heading towards lcars?
    Make it so!
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Certain big changes to desktop environments and the way they work seem to be frustrating lots of Linux users over the last few years, so maybe they'll ease into this and continue to give users options rather than forcing things on them.
    The frustration comes from "fixing that which is not broken". KDE and the gnome project are up to the same tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Otherwise, controversy and more defections to other desktop environments (or distributions) may follow. Seeing as how I'm not a regular user of Ubuntu, or Unity, it might be a very long time before I get to see HUD in action.
    In my opinion distros should not be all about the desktop - the problem with 'buntu and most of it's users - it is. If users "defect" to another distro I can't see that being much of an issue - as I don't measure a distro's quality or success by it's number of users. If users move to another desktop or window manager then that's not a problem - as that's what they should be doing and what GNU/Linux is supposed to be all about.

I've abandoned Unity, I gave it a year, I think that's a legitimate attempt to "get used to it", it was so dysfunctional that I left Ubuntu completely and am now using E17. It's really unfortunate because Ubuntu brought some incredibly easy to use features (one of my favorites is their sound settings which allow incredibly easy and functional access to alsa through pulse). I'm now on Bodhi, everything is great other than HDMI sound which I'm currently working on trying to fix. I hope Shuttleworth continues to invest in his project but, I'm afraid he's going to lose his base to Mint and other distros
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Its an interesting move! Not sure about it

Okay I'm downloading daily build now, voice recognition and prioritizing of applications makes it intriguing. Unlikely I'll leave E17 but as a dual boot, why not
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I'll wait until 12.04 is released to try it; even though it is going to have to be a complete game changer to get me to use Unity, I owe it myself to see if it's actually any good. Based on my experience of Unity thus far, I'm not expecting much.

[edit]

I thought 12.04 was an LTS? Why introduce a bold new feature into an LTS release; I guess they are no longer about stability over features.

[/edit]
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast