Find the answer to your Linux question:
If you could propose a new holiday that is not religiously or politically affiliated, what would it be, and why?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question of the Week - 1/27/2012

If you could propose a new holiday that is not religiously or politically affiliated, what would it be, and why?
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

I'll go ahead and be the first one to answer this one:

National Day of Thanks to Open Source Developers -- you guys really do give back a tremendous amount to your community and get little if any monetary gain in return, it'd be nice if our community at least dedicated a day to you guys

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Worldwide No car day. Where only bicycles,skate boards, pedestrians, motorcycles, are allowed on the roadways.

With stops along side of the road with refreshments and food. I enjoy Holidays out west here like Labour Day and 4th of July when I ride my scooter through New Mexico and the VFW guys have their booths set up at all the New Mexico rest areas. They are cool to talk with and have some nice food and drink to vend. THIS is standard practice every holiday by the VFW guys in New Mexico. I have had the honor of conversing with WW2 vets in person this way.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I love the idea of an International FOSSDay. I would suggest International Carer Appreciation Day to show appreciation for all those caring for a relative, often with minimal support from Social Services.

[edit]That was a damn good question and very hard to answer seriously.[/edit]
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Good question, and I understand the forum rules cause the no politics or religion limitiations. My problem is that other than compters, everything I care about has either religious or political implications. How about national computer day to recognize the advancements possible due to computers?
    Registered Linux user #526930

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    Good question, and I understand the forum rules cause the no politics or religion limitiations. My problem is that other than compters, everything I care about has either religious or political implications. How about national computer day to recognize the advancements possible due to computers?
    Interesting one, I like it

Free software is often a political thing - when discussing free software it's difficult not to stray into the realms of politics.
    Last edited by cynwulf; 01-30-2012 at 03:58 PM.

I just pitched the idea of forum moderators over at Bodhi Forums to have an international day of thanks for FOSS developers on Linus Torvalds birthday (December 28th). They liked the idea, even something simple like pinning a thread on the top of the forum on that day for people to say thank you to the great devs in our community. Would the moderators here be willing to do the same?? Going to pitch it over on ubuntu forums, kde forums and fedora forums as well

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I think this is a great idea. I wonder about the wisdom of choosing a FOSS celebrity's birthday as it could inadvertently slight many other equally hard working FOSS coders and advocates. I also wonder about the timing; it would be buried in the holiday season for a large part of the world and might be missed.

jmadero, if you have no objections I would like to pitch this in a couple of other forums also.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Definitely, glad to see interest for this. I agree about the timing, both for the fact that it's Linus' birthday and because of the holiday season in general. I would like to think of a day that "means something" in our community, not sure what that is, maybe throw that in the forums also and we can see if we get some clever ideas.

I'll go ahead and pitch it right now over at Ubuntu & KDE forum