Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

So, it seems that most Linux systems are ONLY rebooted when they need to install a new kernel. Device drivers normally can be installed/updated in a running system, so the only time it HAS to be rebooted is to activate a new kernel! With MS Windoze, most of the time when you install a new driver, you also have to reboot the system. Guess which I prefer!? If it starts with an 'L' you would probably be correct!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    So, it seems that most Linux systems are ONLY rebooted when they need to install a new kernel. Device drivers normally can be installed/updated in a running system, so the only time it HAS to be rebooted is to activate a new kernel! With MS Windoze, most of the time when you install a new driver, you also have to reboot the system. Guess which I prefer!? If it starts with an 'L' you would probably be correct!
    Up until Oracle bought ksplice, Linux users really didn't even need to reboot for kernel updates either,

Sometimes though, I like to take the system all the way down so I can proactively fsck, even on /

I hear ya. They have left so much functionality out of their products.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman
    So, it seems that most Linux systems are ONLY rebooted when they need to install a new kernel.
    Not entirely true. It seems it's now 21 days and 46 min ago since I added RAM to my server
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    With MS Windoze, most of the time when you install a new driver, you also have to reboot the system.
    Yeah, I run Windows 7 (required) on one box used for work and it totally irks me to use it because it seems that I can't even fart without having to reboot. The package upgrades always download and install slower than a snail's pace, while giving me a warning message NOT to reboot the machine during the process, then it will automatically reboot sometimes as many as 3 times on its own during a single upgrade process.

When running Linux, it's very rare that I'll reboot on upgrades, except for the kernel.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    because it seems that I can't even fart without having to reboot.
    LMAO....post of the week right there.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Yeah, I run Windows 7 (required) on one box used for work and it totally irks me to use it because it seems that I can't even fart without having to reboot. The package upgrades always download and install slower than a snail's pace, while giving me a warning message NOT to reboot the machine during the process, then it will automatically reboot sometimes as many as 3 times on its own during a single upgrade process.

When running Linux, it's very rare that I'll reboot on upgrades, except for the kernel.
    Hey Oz, what's with the handle change? No more Ozar? You lose your pirate back-handle (..ar) license?

...it seems that I can't even fart without having to reboot.
    ROFL!
    One of the best posts ever!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Originally Posted by oz
    ...it seems that I can't even fart without having to reboot.
    So, maybe that explains why I have so much trouble with my system after eating a bean burrito for lunch?

16:07:35 up 2:38, 1 user, load average: 1.04, 1.26, 1.32

I had to post this somewhere before rebooting
    Code:
    [root@vira ~]# uptime
     16:01:03 up 152 days, 23:35,  3 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.10, 0.09