Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
So I installed linux alongside window 7. After installation was finished I couldn't get linux mint wireless to work properly and decided to go back to windows 7, BUT COULDN"T. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Urgent: Windows doesn't see harddrive

So I installed linux alongside window 7.

After installation was finished I couldn't get linux mint wireless to work properly and decided to go back to windows 7, BUT COULDN"T.
    The problem started from windows 7 not loading, when I selected to boot to windows, all i got was "windows is starting" window for 2 seconds and then the BLUE SCREEN (which said to prevented a hardware damage, system is restarting).

So next I tried to repair windows, tried to fix bootmanager through bootrec /fixboot. Got frastuated and decided to erase linux mint and reinstall windows 7.
    Went to gparted, erased all Linux Mint partitions, and created a new one with NFTS format.

Loaded the windows 7 installer, and when the time came to select the harddrive to install the windows on, the window was empty, saying no harddrives found!

What to do? I am panicking!

Hi, vadboy! Welcome aboard!

You other thread has been deleted, since posting duplicate threads is against Forum Rules.
    I'm not entirely sure why the Windows installer wouldn't be seeing your hard drives. Are they detected in your BIOS settings?
    If you boot to a LiveCD such as Mint, are they detected there?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

The conclusion of your post: You are basically installing a w7 from scratch.

The fact, that the w7 installer cannot see the harddisc is a pure windows problem.
    Maybe you need to load a driver during install.
    For details on how to do that, you probably should ask in a windows forum.

Other than that: You hopefully do not have any important data on that disk.
    Your actions (deleting/reseting the partition table) probably made it hard to recover them.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Sometimes Windows installers have problems seeing a hard drive with Grub in the MBR. The solution if this is the case is to clear the MBR and partition table.

Boot your Mint Live CD and run
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    where sda is the hard drive you are installing Windows to. Once completed you will have nothing on the hard disk but from what you have already done that's unlikely to be a problem for you.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    try to boot from the LIVE CD and if its visible then save the data in any external hard drive and then format the partition with NTFS file system...

then i guess you wud be able to detect hdd for windows

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    I think the problem is linked to the way Windows and gparted do the partitioning. I had the same worries, with exactly the same symptoms, and the only solution in the end was to reinstall W7 from scratch, then partition using the windows tool, then, and only then, install Linux (ubuntu). The thread is entitled "Windows 7 won't boot" on the Ubuntu forums (I can't post the link as I haven't posted enough messages here!).
    Good luck.

Just Joined!
    I have read you should defrag. windows before installing a second system on your computer. Windows it seems gets spread out and defraging gets the files back on there side of the fence so to speak. If you get Windows up and running find out what wireless drivers are used. When you reinstall Mint you may need to do some research in the Linux forms about that driver and that should produce some answers for you.
    Last edited by wimstock; 01-30-2012 at 12:54 AM. Reason: wireless drivers

@vadboy.
    I would try the steps recommended by elija, first.
    And if that doesn't work, then I'd have to agree with Irithori on the Windows installer issue.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    vadboy, I'm new to Linux also, I have M$7 and Linux (Multi flavors) installed. I installed M$7 and purchased a separte disk for linux that way I did not have to touch the M$7, the Linux loader (grub) will allow you to load either of the favors, Linux does not require large hard drive images as windows and can centralize the data so they all use data saved in common area depending on how you partition the linux harddrive. Get the M$7 reinstalled (windows problem), create a Linux partition with Ubuntu or Mint and your on your way. One solution until you get up to speed with Linux. Take care ,

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsol4747 View Post
    Get the M$7 reinstalled (windows problem), create a Linux partition with Ubuntu or Mint and your on your way. One solution until you get up to speed with Linux. Take care ,
    Hmm, sounds like you're advising him to do what he did before. I repeat: shrink your W7 hard drive with the W7 disk tool first, then do your installing, if you want to avoid trouble! See: "If you decide to use GParted, you have to remember to uncheck the 'round to cylinders' checkbox , otherwise GParted will dutifully move the entire partition to align it with cylinder boundaries." quoted from HowtoResizeWindowsPartitions from the online ubuntu community documentation (Mint is basically an Ubuntu remix.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast