Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was given the following link that has to do with NIC naming. Consistent Network Device Naming I have to say I am not a big fan of this. There ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Consistent Network Device Naming

I was given the following link that has to do with NIC naming.

Consistent Network Device Naming

I have to say I am not a big fan of this. There is nothing wrong with the way NIC are assigned today so I do not see any need for this. I like that my NICs start off at '0' and I also like the idea that I can order them any way I fell fit.

Their statement:

Aside from the obvious confusion of names starting at 0 verses starting at 1, other race conditions can happen such that each port may not get the same name on every boot, and they may get named in an arbitrary order.

I do not see where the confusion is here. If a sysadmin cannot figure out why the NICs are getting renamed on every reboot and know how to fix the issue ,then maybe he is in over his head.

This will be the first thing I uninstall from every new install that I do. I know where eth0 is and what is connected to it. And I can count from 0.

I really am getting tired of this we have to do things like M$ attitude. If a sysadmin doesn't know how to do something we should teach them where to look for the answers not come up with a new solution.

This was never an issue in the past nor should it be a problem in the present or future. Linux is about freedom and learning. If the sysadmin is incapable of learning then he should stick with M$ who will do everything for them.

And NO, I do not use NetworkManager. That was one of the biggest pieces of garbage written.

Here is my opinion;

If you want to learn how the OS works, get Linux as there is never a dull moment and the things you can and will learn are endless.

If you just want to play games and check email/twitter/facebook then get windows and let them do everything for you.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    I like that my NICs start off at '0' and I also like the idea that I can order them any way I fell fit.
    Surely we all know that counts in Linux start at 0. If some are now going to start at 1 and others at 0, that's more confusing, not less so.

I only have one card but if you have more than one, surely you can set up a udev rule to name them consistently? I thought that was the main reason for having udev.

I really am getting tired of this we have to do things like M$ attitude. If a sysadmin doesn't know how to do something we should teach them where to look for the answers, not come up with a new solution.

If you just want to play games and check email/twitter/facebook then get windows and let them do everything for you.
    +1!
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I'm in two minds about this. While I think consistent device naming without having to resort to udev rules might be useful and save time, I also feel that the silly argument about 0,1,2 vs 1,2,3 is a superfluous one which detracts from what they're really trying to achieve.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close