Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By atreyu
  • 1 Post By hazel
I rebooted Mint 11 last night and got so many errors I couldn't see them all. The last line hinted at file system problems. I ran fsck on the root ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thank goodness for fsck!

I rebooted Mint 11 last night and got so many errors I couldn't see them all. The last line hinted at file system problems. I ran fsck on the root partition and it returned several problems which a second pass was able to fix. Linux may not be a completely problem free operating system but at least it gives us really good tools to repair problems when they occur!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Linux may not be a completely problem free operating system but at least it gives us really good tools to repair problems when they occur!
    Agreed... Linux has some great utilities, fsck being one of them! My personal favorite way to run most utilities is from the Parted Magic liveCD. I usually keep several backup images of my systems on hand as well just in case the general utilities don't work.
    oz

Trusted Penguin
    Dapper Dan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I rebooted Mint 11 last night and got so many errors I couldn't see them all. The last line hinted at file system problems. I ran fsck on the root partition and it returned several problems which a second pass was able to fix. Linux may not be a completely problem free operating system but at least it gives us really good tools to repair problems when they occur!
    Something like that happened to me the other day. I booted Crux and couldn't get X. Slim had crashed due to not finding a library. So I tried startx, and the X-server crashed too. The log showed a different library, same error. I tried ls on /usr/lib and got a string of errors that clearly came from the file system. So I guessed that the libraries weren't being found because the directory was corrupt.

I rebooted into Slackbody and ran fsck. It reported finding the errors and fixed them. End of problem!

Now that's what I call user-friendly. Try doing that in Windows!
    Dapper Dan likes this.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"