Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Dapper Dan
  • 2 Post By elija
  • 3 Post By Roxoff
  • 1 Post By cousinlucky
I ran out of ink in my HP D110a printer so I put in a new ink cartridge but it did not work properly so I put in another new ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Designed To Hook You!

I ran out of ink in my HP D110a printer so I put in a new ink cartridge but it did not work properly so I put in another new one. I took the defective cartridge to Best Buy but I was told I had to send it to HP.

I called HP on the phone seeking an address to send defective products because no address is listed on their website. I was told to put the defective cartridge back into the printer for a Diagnostic report.
    Although I wondered how a defective cartridge was going to print anything I was wrong. The cartridge printed fine now. The clerk asked me to give him the information on the report and then he tried to sell me a " warranty " for the printer. I then realized that I had been taken for a ride. The HP clerk had obtained both my home and cell phone numbers ( In case we were cut off by the bad phone connection. ) He even told me the date ( 19 October 2010 ) that I bought the printer. The printed report said the printer had used 3 color and 24 black ink cartridges and had printed 7583 pages. I guess I had better start saving money for a new printer because HP has probably designed the one I have to fail soon!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Oh my god cousinlucky, I had one of these! It is by far the worst heap of steaming excrement I've ever purchased! Out of the box, it wouldn't pick up paper to print or it would pick up every sheet and jam. I got so livid with it because if wouldn't print something crucial when I needed it, I ripped it from the computer and hurled it down a flight of steps breaking it into a million pieces. I went back to OfficeMax where I bought it and told the manager what a piece of crap it was and what subsequently happened. He said that I should have brought it back to the store. I told him that smashing this shoddy excuse for a printer into a rubble was almost worth the cost. Because of my experience with this printer and other problems I've encountered with other later model HP printers, I will no longer buy them. What good is HP's Linux driver support when the hardware has become so shoddy and defective! I've had several HPs since 1998 at home and in two businesses. With my experience with the D110a, I'll never buy another.
    MASONTX likes this.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I have a HP C8180 All in one and it's few years old and OK. The inks have a use by date after which the printer refuses to use them; which is nothing more than a racket!

I also bought a HP PC just over a year ago and was told that opening it invalidates the warranty (as does putting Linux on it by the way) anyway, I opened it up to add more memory and now understand why HP don't want you opening their kit. It is built using the cheapest, nastiest parts they could find and put together by someone who really couldn't give a f*ck.

I'll never buy HP again despite their Linux drivers.
    MASONTX and Dapper Dan like this.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

oz
    forum.guy
    If you don't require colored printing, purchase a good black and white laser printer because you'll be glad you did when you see how it saves you money and frustration in the long run. You can also get some nice inexpensive color laser printers these days if colored printing is a must.
    oz

Not to steal your thread cousinlucky, but for those of us who've had it with HP, I'd like to hear recommendations on other companies who make printers that play well with Linux. Anyone?

Unfortunately, It seems as though everything HP is garbage!!
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post

Not quite...

hp-guiness-sauce-top-down-475g.jpg
    Dapper Dan, jayd512 and elija like this.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    From what I've been able to tell, all brands and products are steadily declining in quality, even though they are always marketed and sold to end users as "new and improved". I'm thinking that's not likely to change, but I'm certainly hoping it will.
    oz

It's infuriating. We, the older generation of Linux users here, remember when manufacturers made items to last. In fact, quality and durability were the chief selling points when it came to almost all merchandise. Now though, everything is made with a planned life that gets shorter and shorter. Why? So you'll keep buying the same item again and again. Planned obsolescence.

Case in point, (and this is but one incident out of many): I had to buy a new deadbolt lock for one of the doors in my business because the previous owner installed a cheap as dirt deadbolt made in China. I go to the hardware store and guess what? All deadbolts are now cheap and made in China. I have to buy it, otherwise my business will be insecure. Less than a year later, this deadbolt breaks down because the back metal plate where the locking mechanism is inserted is made of very cheap and pliable metal, just like the one it replaced. Why? So it will break, thus forcing me to return to the store to buy yet another cheap deadbolt made in China!

You buy a DVD player today and you'll be lucky if you get two year's use out of it. When it breaks, you throw it away and buy another! Compare that with 8-track players we all had in the 1970s. You can still find them in thrift shops and most of them still work!

In my restaurant, I inherited a 1948 Crosley refrigerator that still works perfectly. I bought a brand new "True" cooler about ten years ago and the compressor gave out last year...

Dan you reminded me of a saying my stepfather had " you can buy and use one Cadillac; or you can buy and use ten Ford's! "
    Dapper Dan likes this.
    Linux user # 414321