Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to find absolute answers or currently the best we can do to answer these question. Nobody I have asked on IRC even asked a few CCNA certified ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

3 hard network ?

I am trying to find absolute answers or currently the best we can do to answer these question.
    Nobody I have asked on IRC even asked a few CCNA certified guys they weren't sure either.... though I haven't got the opertunate to ask the CCIE guys.

Here they are
    Is their away to lookup how many ISP providers their are in the world?
    I know if you go into the IANA or RIR's websites they list some domains but I am not sure this incorporates all the top level ISP providers as well as I don't know how to differientate between which ones are ISP , which ones are just domain registers like godady, or website providers like yahoo wikipedia,...etc

Is their away to get list of all relevent ISP providers that are under a certain ISP provider?
    i.e get all the sub ISP providers under a certain given ISP provider.
    For example comcast which sub ISP providers are under them.
    Or is it only top level ISP providers their is no sub ISP providers ?

Is their away to determine if a wan ip is a static ip or dynamic ip?
    I know ipchicken gives weather the ip address is static or dynamic curious how one would do the equivalent?
    Would be nice if their exist an API out their that allowed you to call a function and give the function a ip address and it returns true or false on if it is dynamic or static.
    Anybody know if this exists out their?
    Actually their is a 4th question
    Is their away given a site to determine all it's ISP or providers that supply them with internet access?
    Last edited by sam111; 02-18-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Just Joined!
    I think I can solve 1,2,4 using some obscure program I wrote with whois.

But I am curious to see what other people have for solutions to those.

As for the dynamic or static question I have no solution to it so far unless I had access to all the dhcp servers and could see all the dhcp address ranges. But that is not going to happen from the outside.

So I am still curious how sites like ipchicken have this ability they are outside the ISP providers routers as well.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Who cares? The number of ISP's in the world today, call that N, will be 2N in a week! Why do you care? Why does anyone care? Heck, my cell phone has been an ISP on occasion, providing internet access as a WiFi hotspot to other users/systems. ISP == Internet Service Provider. If you provide internet service to other users/systems, and manage their connections, then you are an ISP, and a mobile hotspot qualifies as that.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Well, I see your point but
    I was only wondering about the major ISP's
    And how fast they are growing.
    Surely if N = number of major ISP providers
    The 2N cann't possible be the major ISP providers the next week.... They cann't be growing that fast.

For example what is the rate of grow of the internet exchange branches
    https://prefix.pch.net/applications/ixpdir/
    Their are about few hundred that tie together the major ISP's if the rate of growth of major ISP doubled every week then the exchange branches would have to exponentially get larger. This doesn't seem correct.

I do agree if you are considering customers rogue networks , phone tethering ,...etc this ofcourse is expotientially growing but this is only on the customer side of ISP ... or the small ISP if you want to call them.

I am only concerned with the growth of major ISP , their location , and their routes.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, besides the obvious major players such as AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, et al, there is a plethora of smallish players that serve less populated areas and small towns, or are alternative suppliers in larger markets, such as Earthlink who primarily leases bandwidth on the major telco's infrastructure, such as SBC (now AT&T) in our area. They were our provider for years, but the DSL links were owned by SBC/AT&T. As for how many? and at what sizes? I have no clue. So, good luck in your quest!

Just Joined!
    Ok, this is probably a lossing battle since like you said their is alot and growing/moving around to some extent.

My last question which I think is a definite benfit to everybody that has internet service to know.
    Is this
    Question
    Forget my main question
    Is their some site that I can go to type in a location of where I live i.e address , or latitude/longitude ...etc
    And it pops out all the ISP that I can use as an alternative / all the ISP possible to get service from and their prices / speeds/contact info ...etc

This would be nice to know since I am using a provider which I probably can get alot cheaper from another with considerable speed.

Curious if anybody knows.
    It would actually be nice to know this as a way of getting the best service/price for what I need also could be used to map out ISP providers to some extent.

You might try a Google search on these terms: find local isp
    It comes up with a number of services that purport to do what you want.