Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
I don't seem to be getting many of those calls these days. I guess the "smart-arsed linux user" flag is set on my data...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

I don't seem to be getting many of those calls these days. I guess the "smart-arsed linux user" flag is set on my data
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

lol elija... Yeah or either you've been deleted entirely from there data.

It would be interesting to drag it along in a virtual machine running Windows, and then after a week of not using the machine delete it. hehehe

Although i don't know if it possible for malware like that can get out of the virtual machine without a shared linked between host and guest.

It might be interesting to run in a vm, while you feed it phony data such as contacts that are really FBI cyber crimes, etc.
    Registered Linux user #526930

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    Speaking of crooks, i am always amused by the telephone scammers, especially the one that tell you that our Microsoft support team has detected that your computer has a virus. If you allow us to remotely login, we can fix it for you.
    Or the one running on TV at night ..... My Clean PC I guess the saying is true... A sucker born every minute
    I want going to log onto their site when I get home just to see what they have to offer and how they can help me. lol

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    Or the one running on TV at night ..... My Clean PC I guess the saying is true... A sucker born every minute
    I want going to log onto their site when I get home just to see what they have to offer and how they can help me. lol
    HEHE I'm sure they will try to help you with fdisk and format commands.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    The site tells me that my PC is heavily infected. But, they can help remove all of the bad stuff... for a nominal fee, of course!

Yeah... lemme grab that credit card number for you...
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    The site tells me that my PC is heavily infected. But, they can help remove all of the bad stuff... for a nominal fee, of course!

Yeah... lemme grab that credit card number for you...
    You got the dreaded Lunix kernel malware!
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I've just received a different one, but I might as well put it under the same thread. This email comes from someone in France who writes: "I have visited this website and I found you in the spammer list. Is this true?" There is a zipped attachment called Websitelist01_(your_name).zip.

From what I quacked, this contains a well-known worm called netsky (even I have heard of it!) which spreads itself via email. It installs a .exe file into C:\Windows and registers it to autorun under the name Norton Antivirus. How cheeky is that!?

I guess that the worm we were talking about earlier installs itself the same way and that's how it manages to run as soon as you unpack it. If you run a certain famous OS, that is.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2