Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Jayd512, Thanks for your response to a thread concerning SUSE today. I would like to be an able user of Open SUSE, ie without being of 'trouble' to others ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hi Jayd512

Hi Jayd512,
    Thanks for your response to a thread concerning SUSE today. I would like to be an able user of Open SUSE, ie without being of 'trouble' to others physically. Example, a community (SUSE) guy helped me one time to set up my connection to the internet. Can you believe that even the internet provider people asked me do i have a WINDOWs notebook, in order that he can walk me step by step to set up my internet connection! I am not joking!! Before I came to know Open Source, - you guessed it, I was on WINDOWs obviously. The WINDOW set up wizard helped me to get connected to the internet- I didNOT need some customer care people on the other end of the line to 'walk me' so to speak!
    However, as far as the internet setting or may be the correct term to use is 'configuration' is still a mystery to me. In other words I had no chance to actually learn how to set it up! That spells trouble....if anything goes wrong, I will have to find that guy again - if he is still around.
    I would like to learn some of the basic things in respect of handling the Open Source things. I understand that I can get some kind of help by joining a 'mailing list'. This sounds Greek to me! Which mailing list is that and where can I find it/them?? I was also told to look up on Google and the Forums, which I did - however, many times I find it difficult for me to comprehend. Again my friends had been advising me that if i wanna go Open Source I better equip myself with some amount of programming knowledge. On the other hand some guys who have computer science background that I met, and asked this issue brushed that aside. Can you help me understand this? Thanks.

I'm not jayd512 but I can answer some of your questions. As far as forums are concerned, this is a good one to join. There is also a specific opensuse forum at http://forums.opensuse.org.

You can also learn a lot by reading. Many system configuration files have their own manual pages which you can access on your system with the man command. There are also very useful documents called HOWTOs, which can be downloaded from http://www.tldp.org. They are ideal for people who want to learn how to configure a network or how to get sound working.

You don't need to learn programming. In Linux, you learn by doing. Try things out; ask for help if you get in a mess. It's fun and you'll learn a lot. In Windows you learn nothing. If it works, you don't know why it works, and if it doesn't, you can't fix it.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Hi, mhismail.

It's like hazel said. You don't need to learn programming to use Linux. Personally, I have little to no programming skills, at all.
    But take a look through the page that she linked to to.
    The Linux Documentation Project is loaded with great documentation.
    Other than that, when you run into a problem, start with a web search. If you can't find an answer that way, post a question in a forum.
    Just keep working with your system, and you'll soon find yourself fixing things that might currently seem quite confusing.

Above all, just have fun with it.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi,
    Thanks a lot guys, I feel lifted up again hearing your guidance and encouragement. OK, noted your replies. I will find my way (with this open source things) via google etc, and hope to interact with you guys again over the SUSE linux of this FORUM sometimes.

All you need is a knack for being a resourceful!

Sorry if i am being obvious but Jayd512 and hazel don't mean for you to become a walking encyclopedia for linux command by reading all the man-pages and what not :P.
    So don't overwhelm yourself reading tens or hundreds of linux command documents, thinking thats what is expected lol.
    Half the stuff won't even be useful unless you plan on developing your own Linux distro and the other half will be useful but not until you encounter that problem and need to learn how to fix it.

Just Joined!
    [QUOTE=SL6-A1000;882045]All you need is a knack for being a resource....

hmm...i thought i was a bit enlightened ie not until i read your first sentence above! appreciate if u will elaborate on being 'resourceful' so i can add to the ones i knew: ie google and forum - if that was what yo meant by your first sentence above - bearing in mind i'm still at kindy level wrt open source. what is obvious to most may be totally new to me. pld bear with me.

[QUOTE=mhismail;882155]
    Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    All you need is a knack for being a resource....

hmm...i thought i was a bit enlightened ie not until i read your first sentence above! appreciate if u will elaborate on being 'resourceful' so i can add to the ones i knew: ie google and forum - if that was what yo meant by your first sentence above - bearing in mind i'm still at kindy level wrt open source. what is obvious to most may be totally new to me. pld bear with me.
    Oh i just meant if you can't fix a problem that occurs, your able to find a solution, because half the time your probably more likely to find the solution yourself before someone on a forum helps you solve it. In which case by being resourceful you will learn and fix issues that occur more readily.
    That was in no way implying you weren't the above (resourceful)... just a statement; sorry if you read otherwise.

Just Joined!
    Hi guys and gals,
    Really appreciate your responses on this issue, esp to SL6-A1000. Just words in print can be so cold and may be misinterpreted. Nevertheless, all your responses are helpful.They guided me to some places where I can find useful knowledge.

My current challenge is to set up my HP mini to be able to connect to the internet again. I posted that request for help on the forum today - just a while ago. I did google for help about setting up on the internet, however, the info there are looking incomprehensible to me for the moment. Really, they look like I need to learn so many command lines -- which I guess would require going into the terminal. I mean...if i need to, then I just have to do it. The only problem is the originators of most documents available on line, assume some basic knowledge of computer language is available from readers - this is quite unfortunate as there are people like yours truly who has almost kindergarten level of computer lingo!

I will do it step by step though.