Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Came across this reference to artificial meat. In vitro meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia In talking about it with others, many said they would never eat artificial meat. What ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Would you eat artificial meat?

Came across this reference to artificial meat. In vitro meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    In talking about it with others, many said they would never eat artificial meat. What is your opinion?
    Registered Linux user #526930

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Well, I already eat sausages. How much worse could this be?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

The argument is that by genetically altering the meat, you may introduce carcinogens or other disease. It is also billed as low or no fat, so many question whether it will really taste like beef, which has at least some fat, or will be tasteless. Me, I would be willing to try it, but to be a regular user it would have to have taste and be competitive on price.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    It doesn't sound very appetizing to me, but my guess is that it will eventually become a common practice and new people will be born into the world thinking of it merely as a routine part of life.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    It doesn't sound very appetizing to me, but my guess is that it will eventually become a common practice and new people will be born into the world thinking of it merely as a routine part of life.
    +1 Unfortunately yes...

50 years ago the majority of families still went to butchers and picked out the best cuts of meat and cooked and prepared them themselves.

Now in the "brave new era" of the frozen burger, many consumers don't care what goes into their meat, how the animal(s) was treated in life, what it was fed and how it was slaughtered. In fact in many types of mass produced meat products (burgers, sausages, etc), 90% of it isn't meat, or not the meat you'd expect.

The idea of lab grown meat is as disgusting today as a hotdog made of ground chicken and turkey scraps (I remember reading about fish scraps being in the things some years back), soya, colourings, flavourings, MSG, etc, would have been 50 years ago. In the future, lab grown meat will probably be acceptable.

Regardless it will eventually be the poorest eating this ****, while the fat cats making the huge profits from selling it sit down to a meal of real food.

I bet it would make good jerky though. No fat, pure meat formed and dried. Might make decent chili or work in enchiladas and that sort of thing, but for eating as a steak or a hamburger, it would probably not taste right if it has no fat.

Well, it would have one advantage: no more moral agonising about animal welfare. Just as we don't owe anything to the plants they make baked beans from, and don't care what happens to them, so we wouldn't owe anything to the sources of lab meat.

I'd be willing to eat it if it tasted ok.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Only if I was starving to death and I could not find any other means to feed myself. I refuse to eat the "Soy meat" that Caravel pointed out. That stuff is nasty and causes me massive gas attacks. Also, there are health reasons not to eat this stuff. From the link Caravel provided:
    An American Institute for Cancer Research report found that consuming one 50-gram serving of processed meat — about one hot dog — every day increases risk of colorectal cancer by 20 percent.
    And now you want me to eat nothing but processed meat? What is this, Population control?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I'd be willing to eat it if it tasted ok.
    I would almost certainly eat rat first.

On the subject of Soy, it's not as ethical as some people would imagine. Large scale damage which is being done to environment (deforestation) to produce Soy is a big issue. It has been known for years that raising beef is destructive, but few people know about the deforestation caused by soy production.

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm thinking that the majority of folks probably don't even know what all they are eating now, so when this thread first went up, I was immediately reminded of this recent news blog article:

McDonald

I don't know for sure that I've had this mix, or that I've not had it, as I don't eat out very often, but attempts to find ways to stretch our available food resources and keep them affordable are bound to continue.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast